1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are Fender Rumble heads really that bad?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pica, Feb 10, 2013.

1. pica

pica

I noticed there are very few threads on the Fender Rumble heads. And the couple threads I did find were not that complementary. Where's the love people? Are the Fender Rumble heads really that bad?
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Yes. Yes they are.
  3. Laurie Bass

Laurie Bass

I have read a few reviews on the Rumble 350 combo. Like everything else,,some people like,,them some don't. I know with the 350 combo you can not add an extension speaker,,,not sure with just the head though. I had 2 Rumble 1x12 Bass cabs (250 watt each/8 OHMS) hooked up in parallel to a Traynor YBA 200 (200 watt tube head) and on open "E" some times the speakers would blat or fart. Honestly they should not have done that at all . I traded the 2 Rumble Cabs for an Eden 4x10 cab (XST)and sold the Traynor and got a Carvin B1500. No problems at all now.:bassist:
  4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The HEADS are quite good, at least judging by replies from actual users.
  5. mystic38

mystic38

compared to alternatives i just dont think they offer much..but if you like the sound then who cares?..:D
  6. pica

pica

Thanks WoodyJ, however I was referring to the newer 150 and 350 amp heads.
  7. RadioRob

RadioRob Supporting Member

I liked so much I took back my PF-500 for the 350 :p
    [​IMG]
  8. 4001

I checked out a Rumble 350 head and I was quite impressed with it.
  9. blubass

blubass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Rebel Straps, Rotosound strings, EMG pickups, Etc...
    Unless there's quality issues, then there isn't any amp that's bad. There's just amps that produce the tone you like, or not. I've heard Fender Rumble amps that compliment a band beautifully. On the other hand I've heard them sound like a bag of gassy cats trying to escape. Wattage I think is a huge factor in how these amps sound. There's not enough to compete with 2 guitars and drums without cranking it up too high.
  10. pica

pica

As was I. My local guitar store had one set up and it sounded damn good IMO.
  11. christle

christle Supporting Member

I use one and so far it has done very well. I get lots of compliments on my sound so I guess it works great for me.
  12. pica

pica

I guess these amp heads are more popular then I thought. I was just surprised by the lack of threads on these amps.
  13. christle

christle Supporting Member

I had a chance to audition it playing a large venue and I had a sound crew there. They liked it. I actually thought they might hate as we normally use large GK combos. Go figure....
  14. pica

pica

I apologize if this is a stupid question. I know you can use any amp with any bass but are the Fender amps made to be paired with Fender basses. I mean will the Fender amps give you the best sound if used with a Fender bass?
  15. blubass

blubass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Rebel Straps, Rotosound strings, EMG pickups, Etc...
    That's really not a stupid question. Id be willing to bet sitting in a fender r&d building while designing the amp that they did use fenders. Most likely they used others too. Problem is fender had a team designing the amp to their ears. Your ear is the best tool and deciding factor.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender never once made a decent bass rig till the 90's. For a guy who revolutionized the world of bass, Leo and his design team were quite inept at building a decent bass cab. So were those who followed. Nice amps, lousy cabs. Nowadays they do a lot better but pretty much every other bass amp company in the world till the 90's had better products. So I'd have to say no to your question.
  17. rpsands

rpsands

I think the Rumble 350 is just fine as a budget lightweight head. Decent power, nice sound.
  18. IPYF

IPYF

The head seems to be well reviewed by those that own it, and poo-poohed by those who've observed it in passing. That's usually the norm for a good cheap amp.

I don't see many people popping up implying that they own one but wish they had never bought it. You don't see many people claiming many QC issues on the head unit. I'd suggest it's probably a good amp. The combo seems to have some troubles though, but I think the blame has mainly been directed at the speakers and the bass players themselves

I probably wouldn't buy one in today's market because it's low powered and not a micro. Low wattage amps which you can't fit in a backpack are going to struggle in 2013 and beyond.
  19. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I plugged in to one at GC a while ago, and it actually sounded pretty good. I wouldn't balk if it was provided backline, and actually wouldn't mind using one as a backup head.
  20. Dugachug

Dugachug

Rumble has an awesome clean sound in my opinion, but it doesn't have the right distortion/overdrive i'm looking for, but then again you can use overdrive pedals. I do think the pf-500 sounds better to my ears.