Are flatwounds ideal if I dislike finger squeaks from roundwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IbbyMonster, Jun 27, 2013.

1. IbbyMonster

IbbyMonster Banned

I have some Elixir nanoweb on my bass and they're a month old. I think the tone I get out of it sounds great, but I've been annoyed by the finger squeaks it produces and I was wondering if flatwounds would solve the problem? I like to play to alternative rock and reggae.....and I am definitely getting into jazz/funk.

2. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

What do you mean by finger squeaks? I have a set of elixirs on my jazz bass that I use for many genres, mostly funk, RnB, and jazz. I find I can go between many styles easily by changing the way I play. For example muting with both hands for reggae.

I had a set of flats on my jazz before the elixirs. I would say try the flats if you have never tried flats before. Worst comes to worst you get new strings.

I would also recommend Thomastiks. A bit pricy but sound great all around for many styles of music. But again, as many people say, it's in your hands and technique. Hope this helped.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

I switched from rounds to GHS Precision Flats for the very same reason. I tend to slid my fingers across the strings and really hated that sound

4. IbbyMonster

IbbyMonster Banned

Finger squeaks, like it sounds squeaky and scratchy even when I'm careful when lifting my fingers when playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IbbyMonster

IbbyMonster Banned

I think I will definitely try flats. I really dislike the squeaky and scratch zing noise when switching frets and sliding my fingers across the fretboard.

7. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

Weird, I have never had that happen to me before with any strings.

8. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

To answer your question IbbyMonster, yes, flats are a good way to hide the squeaking noises if your fingers slide over roundwound strings and cause the problem.
    Obviously, you could turn your tone down a bit, but then you'd lose some brightness as a trade off.

This is one of the reasons I play with flats. My technique isn't developed enough to avoid that noise. In fact I've never bothered to try and play my way out of it.

I personally like a bright sounding string, so I go for the brightest flats I can find. ie. either Rotosound SM77s or D'Addario Chromes.

(BTW, Brace yourself for the replies about improving your style/technique.)

9. carl h.

carl h.

Labella tapes. Roundwound under black tape - no squeak and cheap from Carvin.

10. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

You can still get fret noise depending on your technique, but it's more of a subtle grind rather than squeak or clank.

YMMV

11. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Squeaks from sliding are hard to eliminate 100%. You could go with flats, but just knkw they will squak too until they age a while...

On the coated side, I know you didn't dig the Elixirs. Try a set of D'Addario EXP's: they coat the string entirely differently (instead of dipping the completed string, just the outside wrap wire is coated before assembly). The feel is different and might work better for you.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Playing with a live band is the best remedy for string squeaks!

=)

13. scotch

Disclosures:
    There is some real truth here!

14. srayb

srayb

Moving to flats will help. Or stay with rounds and dial back your tone/highs a bit. I used to always play with tone all the way up, but now I find I prefer it dialled back a bit (closer to halfway). Experiment with your eq on your amp, try bring the upper highs down and your mid highs up. And then everything sounds different again when playing with a full band. :)

15. Jtaing562

Jtaing562

It's hard for me to play without maxing out on the highs and mids. I love tone and when I dial them back I feel like it sounds too dry and muddy. So, with age the finger squeaks will be reduced?

16. scotch

Disclosures:
    If you're cranking mid and high eq you're gonna have noise no matter what you do! That's pretty unconventional (I assume amp settings?) tone, but to each their own of course!

17. Aerynn

Aerynn

Maxed out mids? I can understand boosted but maxed is going to give you noise from everything.

Flats do indeed help eliminate finger squeak but I always find my new sets are kind of tacky until worn in, which is irritating. Basically, don't give up on them right away.

18. Jtaing562

Jtaing562

I now have some new flat wound strings installed but it's still doing the same thing. It gives me that annoying clank/squeak....I guess I will leave it on and practice for a week or two and see if it gets better.

19. scotch

Disclosures:
    Is your amps treble and mid eq really cranked?!? That would explain 90% of whats bugging you methinks.

20. David Jayne

David Jayne

This. Turn that stuff down, especially the treble.

21. winterburn69

winterburn69

You could also try RotoSound 55s. They're pressurewound stainless steel. Almost no finger noise, like flats, pretty smooth feeling for rounds. They still sound like a roundwound string but not the Roto 66-type of roundwound string.