Are Iceman basses neck heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Apr 2, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Looking for a second bass-currently a 4003 player- to play on a few heavier projects. Basically looking at a second rick or an iceman. Do they suffer from neckdive by design? Love the look.

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    In theory they should. Omitting the upper horn will shift the balance point further into the body. I've never actually owned one, and am curious from owners if they've had positive results, as I'm leaning (no pun intended in a neck heavy thread) towards using the Iceman body for a Warmoth build.

3. AndrewM

AndrewM

I had the Ibanez ICB200 Iceman bass a few years back, and I was always pretty fond of it. It does have a little bit of neck dive to it from what I remember, but it wasn't anything truly horrible. I ended up selling it and I sort of regret it, had a pretty nice tone especially for the price. Also has one of the best looking bodies IMO

Also felt rock-solid and durable. So if by "a few heavier projects", you mean that you will be gigging in a boisterous environment and don't want to risk damaging a more expensive bass, I'd say the iceman would suit you well.

4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

No upper horn = balance issues....always.

However, the look of "short horn" basses outweigh the disscomfort to some extent. At one time, I have a Thunderbird, Iceman, Stealth and Mockingbird. All have the same issue with balance and the neck sticking way out there.

After using a short horn, and then strapping on a standard bass, it feels so comfortable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I always wanted one. Ordered one sight unseen, it was beautiful, well crafted, killer pickups and hardware.. Got it home put it on the strap, straight to the floor.. It's dives enough to be annoying IMO. Have to constantly push it up while playing on stage. I eventually sold it. Great in every way, except that. Was a Ibanez ICB300EX.

7. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmm, the ones I tried didn't dive--maybe it was that particular bass or the way you wear it?

Just wondering.

The guitars are the most balance guitars I've ever tried, so I'm surprised people have had issues with the basses.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    The bass guitar has a scale length that's ~50% longer than the guitar equivalent, and that mass isn't necessarily proportional in how it's distributed. There is less margin for error in a larger, heavier design.

9. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I do realize the neck is longer, and that will affect the balance, but the ones I tried were not neck heavy.

10. veebass

veebass Supporting Member

I have a very early ICB 300 and it is not neck heavy- don't know about the later ones.. I have more neck heavy Jazz basses.

11. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

The one I tried was neck heavy.

Ibanez makes a reverse iceman guitar called a "fireman".
    That way the lower horn becomes the upper horn and helps with the neck dive.

I always kinda wanted to get a Warmoth Iceman body and have it routed upside-down.

12. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

I have an ICB200 and it suffers from neck-dive.

But fixing it was no big deal.
    First, I moved the strap button further out:
    [​IMG]

Stock position is on the right, my straplock button on the left.
    Every little bit helps, but this wasn't a cure by any means.
    Apparently my mahogany body is on the light side--total weight of this bass was about 7.5lbs.

Next, I put 12oz of lead in the control cavity, and this got me in the ballpark.
    Another 8oz in a pouch on the strap and it balances.

For lead, I recommend the wheel weights made for hiding on the backside of aftermarket mag wheels. They come with foam tape on the back, in sticks that are pre-scored so you can break off what you need. Saw them at Harbor Freight--you get a pound (I think) for around $10.
    Should be a quick job to stick them to any open areas inside the control cavity, and on the inside of the cover plate. Just be sure they are secure and tape them over to ensure against shorting anything out.

Depending on the weight of your body, you might not need to do this, or only add a little.
    Adding over a pound to my bass didn't make it too heavy since the body was so light in the first place.
    And I would rather have a heavier bass than a diver any day--when they balance you don't feel like you're fighting it all the time.

13. Sartori

Sartori

Many basses with a short or no upper horn will be a bit neck-divey. How much really depends on the bass. I'd get a wide strap if I were you.

Actually, I'd get a second Rickenbacker, because I find their sounds perfect for heavy music. But that's just me.

14. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Sartori I think thats going to be the likely option at this stage- just trying to find the right one. One of the projects I will be doing vocals- Neck dive appeals to me even less when I am trying to multitask. Always been partial to the iceman though. One of the few "pointier shapes" I like.

15. Wallace320

Wallace320

jut because I followed the same path, once in my recent past.

I solved neckdive with larger straps, but I gotta tell that neck far away from you was the bigger down. This and the absurdly
    strange gigbags I had to look for to accomodate 'em:rolleyes:

I still miss Mockin'bird dual splits (and Fender BlackTop Jazz's) every once in awhile.

Cheers,
    Wallace