Are J pickups popular for 6 string basses?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I had a small discussion with an old school friend. He plays the bass as well, 6 strings exclusively. Most basses he played, had soapbar pickups on them, but he's looking for one with a pair of J's on it.. Any idea's who makes basses with J's on them? Cause he thinks that J pups on 6 string basses aren't popular enough to be build for mass production...

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

J-style pups are standard on a Carvin LB76 six-stringer, although you can choose other pups as well.

3. CnB77

CnB77

SX makes a 6 string J. That shoots his argument to pieces better than anything else, since SX are inexpensive instruments made by the boatload.

But pickups don't need to be mass-produced anyway, you can always get a reasonably priced custom from a variety of winders.

4. Thomas Kievit

You are very right there :p But he's more into the ''standard'' basses. He likes the options on having things getting custom(ized), but he likes to try as many basses possible and see what his sound is. Nice idea from him though :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dasto

dasto Supporting Member

I've got a Yamaha trb6p with Aero J's and these fit also in the Yamaha trbjp. I don't know about the Yamaha trbjp II but I think there are also installed single coil pickpups like in the older model.

7. Thomas Kievit

Problem is, that there aren't so many stores around here, that sell six stringers. So finding one with J's on them to test will be hard.. I suggest him the Carvin or otherwise a Sandberg California JJ bass :p