1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are MIM Jazz pickups the same length?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soaf, Dec 24, 2013.

1. soaf

soaf

Just bought a used set. Both have yellow and black wires and the pickups are exactly the same length. Is this a correct set?
  2. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

The pickups were the same length up to 2002. After that, the bridge pickup is longer just like US Jazzes
  3. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    On early models they were the same length (mine is a '92). To know when they became regular, you'd better ask some Fender expert here.

(btw, I bought it used with Quarter Pounders on, but the original pups had same length and same wire colors)
  4. jaypee

jaypee

Around 2000ish Fender used the identical length pickups in the MIM jazz basses. I don't know why. I have a 2000 MIM jazz that is stock as far as the pickups are concerned and I bought it brand new in 2000. I also had a 2007 FSR Jazz that I bought brand new and its pickups were of different lengths like all other "normal" Jazz basses.

If you install a "normal" set of jazz bass pickups in a 2000ish MIM jazz bass you will have to slightly enlarge the bridge position route for the install. It's only like a 1/16th of an inch or so.

In your case it sounds like you installing a 2000ish MIM set of identical sized pickups on a "normal" Jazz bass on which the pickups or the routes are of different size. It should work mechanically, but you will have that slight gap.

That's all I got. I'm interested in seeing the response from the more learned community for sure!