1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are Sadowsky basses over rated?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Granted they are good bass guitars, and people like Will Lee and others would not play them if they did not like them. My understanding is the basses are made over seas and then he just puts them together in Brooklyn.

To me they just seem to be enhanced Fender jazz basses. I know Fender also makes jazz basses with active electronics for under $2,000 that appear to be just as good as the Sadowsky's. I played their Metro basses and thought they were good but I was not blown away by their sound or quality. They actually sound similar to the Fender sound, but the active electronics help it sound a little more modern. Am I missing something here?
  2. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Personally I find them overrated. I've played a few and never thought they were worth the price they were going for. This is just my experience though, I know they are well crafted and that they have their fan base.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you're missing is that we've had this exact same thread a hundred times already, and every one of them started badly and went downhill from there, often ending in lock.

"Good luck with that."
  4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Nope, they're not.
    See, that was easy. ;)
    Seriously, the active Fender Electronics are noisier in the studio and the Sadowsky basses are really consistent and sound great. I don't have a dog in this fight, personally. I have a couple of Fenders and I confess my Sadowsky is a Carvin SB5000. ;)
    There is an overseas line (The Metro Series) and a domestic line made in NYC. They are incredibly popular here in Nashville.
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

God help us. There are a hundred threads on this over the last 10 years.

The lower priced Metro's are made in the Sadowsky shop in Japan I believe, the higher priced New York models are made in the Sadowsky shop in New York. There are feature differences between the two lines (graphite reinforcement bars, routed bodies, different hardward, etc., etc., etc.) Lots of discussion on 'is the NYC worth the extra price versus the Metro.... same discussion, same issue.

Just like any other high end bass, if the unique tone of the Sadowsky instruments (there are many different models, their most popular is a unique take on a J Bass) floats your boat, and you are willing to pay the price for a 'Fender style instrument' that has perfect fit and finish and attention to detail, you should look at them and consider them. The Metro's are about the same price as the 'select' Fender models, and the NYC's are about the same price as the Custom Shop Fender models. The Fenders sound like Fenders and the Sadowsky basses sound like Sadowsky.

There are many players (some VERY good players) who are very happy with a Fender Squire after a good set-up and a few low cost hardware swaps. Nothing wrong with that.

The good news for you, is if you played one, and are thinking 'this isn't worth the extra money versus a Fender MIM J', then you have answered your own question accurately.
  6. mcm

mcm

Yes but most things are
  7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

I Love the Carvin SB5000 bass! It has a brighter sound over the Fender or Sawdowsky and very easy neck to play on
  8. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

Well put!
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

PS Also, didn't mean to jump all over you. It is very difficult for a relatively new member to know what topics have been discussed to death.

Again, any time you get to the top of the top of pricing/product within a category, the extra price starts to reach the 'diminishing returns' level for many people. Is a $10,000 stereo speaker worth it over a good Boston Acoustic for $300... for some, yes, for most no. Is a $200 bottle of 25 year old scotch worth it versus a good $50 bottle of 12 year old scotch..... for some yes, for most no. Is a $12,000 Fodera worth it over the many other well made boutique instruments for $3,000-$4,000, for some, yes, for others no. Is a high end Jazz or P Bass, small batch, relatively hand made bass worth $2,500 to $4,000 versus a Fender J or P off the rack at Guitar Center... for some, yes, for most, no:)

And +1, those Carvin J models are pretty darn nice!
  10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

Expensive? Yes.

Overrated? By who?
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Fender basses are pretty much the definition of 'overrated', so I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
  12. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

+1
  13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

Yeah, another "make me feel better that I can't afford expensive basses" thread!!!! ;)
  14. Ivan M

Ivan M Gold Supporting Member

My thoughts EXACTLY. Anything you get into in life is gonna be expensive, ever played GOLF for a few years? I think its over rated, i spent thousands playing that game and its OVERRATED. Sold my clubs got out and bought SADOWSKY basses, once i started playing them my search for "THAT" sound stopped. This questioned has been asked HUNDREDS of times as others have said. Check out ALLEVA-CAPPOLO Basses, those are even more pricier. Some say they are overrated, i think they are worth every penny just like SADOWSKY basses.
  15. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

16. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

No, they're not.
  17. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Overrated? No.

Expensive? Yes.

Overpriced? Depends on your level of disposable income.
  18. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Are we doing this again? Already?
  19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Exactly correct. When someone makes a bass they have a vision of what it should be. Are my SX basses "overrated"? Some say yes. Chinese junk etc. But if what they do fits my vision of what I want in a bass then the answer is no. Roger has a vision too. And if his vision fits your vision, then what he charges isn't too much. It's how you get what you are looking for. If it doesn't then sure, they are overrated because they aren't free and you have no interest in them.
  20. Phillip Jordan

Phillip Jordan Supporting Member