Are samples the best thing I've done musically?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 21, 2014.

1. pklima

pklima

A set of samples of my double bass. I finished it in November, and it's already had more than 2000 downloads.

http://www.drealm.info/sfz/DSmolken/

I mean, yeah, it's free, most of those people probably just downloaded it because "wow free samples and I don't have any double basses yet" and never even opened it in a sampler, but still. It's a pretty surreal feeling when you realize that people are more interested in me giving them a bunch of sounds that they can decide how to play than people are in me actually playing music.

Not that this makes me sad. Considering that I spent about 20 really boring hours slicing and mapping those samples I'm glad that effort didn't go to waste.

So, anybody else tried making some samples of yourself?
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I thought people are more interested in your chocolate covered bacon than in you playing music?

:bag:
  3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

People will download pretty much anything that's free. With more and more bands using sampling devices and virtual instruments its just going to get more and more common. I paid for and use east west quantum leap and slate drums have a cheap home studio laptop setup and a digitech jamman. Good samples are very useful. You can add to bands sound, you can use them for one man band type scenarios. My band went on hiatus over the holidays because of my guitar players retail job. Drummer ended up joining another band. I'm in the process now of writing midi for drums for my bands songs. Going to add orchestrations, keyboards, acoustic instruments so we can play as a 3 piece.
  4. pklima

pklima

That's why the word "musical" is in the title. I'm not sure whether bacon is greater than all, but it's either bacon or chocolate.
    Yup, I did this so I could use them myself. Making them available for free was just a side effect. That, and I found somebody very kindly willing to host this even though this many downloads must add to his hosting bill.

And I have used them, I've even layered and resynthesized the bowed samples, tweaked some synth parameters and made a pluck sound, then used that. Bowed plucks, that's mad science. I feel like the Brain, or at least Pinky. Planning to sample a cellist on Thursday.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pklima

pklima

Funny: a friend who helped me with the cello samples asks me if I want to do some recording for a project I'm not terribly interested in even though it would pay money. I remind him that he's got my bass samples, so he should use them. Today he sends me a track all proud of how it sounds. So, it's also a good way to weasel out of recording sessions.

I've actually used them myself instead of recording a part, too. It works, and it sure is convenient.