Are Stagg basses good?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by JChurch_Bass, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

:help:Staggmusic - products - guitars

For awhile now ive been looking for a different bass aside from my schecter.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anything about Stagg instruments.I've always wanted a MusicMan and with the money i make a look alike is the best i can do.
  2. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

I had a Stagg Jag-style bass with two humbuckers in it. Aside from the looks, the Stagg humbucker has nothing in common with the Music Man version. You will be getting a bass that looks like a 'Ray, but sounds nothing like a 'Ray.

Your best bet is to save a few more nickels for the Sterling (as mentioned above) or the S.U.B.

If you must go with a copy, go for one that has been dialed in a little closer to the real thing like this http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/another-awesome-stingray-tribute-826208/
  4. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Don't buy a Stagg. I had a jazz copy as my first bass and the craftsmanship was horrible. There wasn't one part of it that's good... Well the tuners and the knobs were alright but nothing else. The nut was too low on the E slot, frets weren't level, electronics were cheap, tone knob did nothing, strap-locks couldn't hold my strap, the saddle screws in the bridge eventually got engraved into the bridge plate causing rattling and intonation issues, and the body was made out of three pieces of lumber reserved for Ikea furniture without a nice grain on it anywhere. Again, don't buy a Stagg.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

So then would an OLP replica be any better?
    I would love to get a Sterling but thats really out of my price range.
  7. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

I don't think they make the OLP MM style basses any longer... So you'd probably have to get one used. In a quick search I did just a minute ago, it looks like they are going used for $200-300... I would say, if you can save that much up for the OLP, how much longer would it take to save $600-700? And is it worth it to wait and save up a bit more? My answer would be it's absolutely worth it!

While the Sterling by Music Man is not a USA made Music Man, and there is a significant difference between the two...there's not a closer approximation of a USA MM bass than the Sterling by Music Man line! It's really a great product at a great price! The OLP doesn't even come close to the Sterling by Music Man...

I would encourage you to hold off until you can save up for the better instrument!
  8. raymondo

raymondo

I have a fretted Stagg base, which was actually the most comfortable base in the shop. Also, surprisingly, I have a very nice Stagg fretless bass. Both are good.
  9. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

I own two of those jag style Staggs and I love them. They are the earlier version with the F.... style headstock. They sound a lot better than the horrible '71 Jazz that I had for a short while (though I doubt that any one will believe me) . I used to buy and sell 'quality' basses, 72 P, 60 P, 76 ray, JD,Goodfellow, yadda yadda.... The only one I miss is the 60 P and that's only because of the absurd prices they fetch. I think that it's down to the individual. most of the vintage basses I owned had issues of one sort or another and tho I enjoyed them aesthetically I became obsessed with finding 'the tone'. The bass is only part of the overall picture and It's important to find something that plays comfortably. crap wiring is no big deal. look at how many big name guitars have their pickups swapped out for something else.
    I don't care where an instrument is made and what's on the headstock generally. If an instrument feels good to play (and looks 'right' for the band etc (and has no major faults) then it can be tweaked to your preference. I do have the luxury of TC parametrics but I only really use them to EQ out any resonances in the room etc. Those stagg BM350s rock. Like a thick angry J but with more lows. Best of all they are dirt cheap.
    Can't speak for stagg generally but I wonder how much slating they get is down to them not being American and therefore 'uncool' lol. Any way who cares wether a bass sounds like something else? No bass player got famous for sounding like someone else.
  10. mathewjg

mathewjg

People put too much concern into the name. I used to do the sound in a small club that had a set of stag drums but the kick drum had a gretch front skin. Many of the drummers commented on how good the drums were and i guess the gretch name on the front had something to do with it. We did have problems with the kick pedal and hihat stand but given that they were used every night for 2 years that's not bad for a very reasonable priced kit.
    I know a very experienced guitar tech that always uses economy models. His current favourite is the Vintage brand. He spends some time on setting up the action and pickup height if necessary. In the rare case that it does not sound the way he likes he changes the pickups for low/medium priced replacements. He is a great guitarist and always ends up with a fantastic sound and great action. Its important to find models that are not too heavy and with a neck that suits your requirements, an adjustable truss rod and an adjustable bridge - many economy models have all this.
  11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Staggs are pretty hit and miss. At Stagg prices you may as well try out some Squiers or an Ibanez GSR series bass. PLAY BOTH at a store. While Squiers are generally dependable, you may be very surprised at how nice the "low end" Ibanez is--fairly impressive. I'd play one anywhere anytime and not sweat it for a second.
  12. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    get yourself a Sterling Ray...
  13. Imaginary Pony

Imaginary Pony

I've got a Stagg BC 3OO which I bought maybe 6 yrs ago, when I was stuck without a bass. I got it in a pack with a 20W practice amp, cable and strap for €195.
    I wasn't expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised. It was well set up, decent strings, and the intonation is really good; even on the 24th fret it's still within the tolerance range on my tuner. No dead spots. Light and really easy to play. Nice sound, even through a good sound rig. DSC02742.JPG
    DSC02743.JPG
    On the downside, the tone pots don't seem to do much, but the eq on the practice amp makes up for that.

I've heard a lot of negative things about Staggs, but I'm very happy with mine, and play it a lot. She's lighter than my Warwick, and my shoulder is happier when I play the Stagg. Maybe I was lucky, but I'd not be shy about buying a new bass from them.