1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are sx necks any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frankewhite, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Frankewhite

Frankewhite

Just like the title. Are they good or better than a mighty mite? Appreciate the input.
  2. justinellison3

justinellison3

3. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

What does "better" mean to you? I've found that SX necks were on the thick and chunky side compared to Fender spec necks, which is not a plus to me. Mighty Mite necks will fit into a Fender style body a little better than an SX neck will because of the heel shape difference. The SX has a more durable finish (bulletproof thick poly shell).

Oh yeah, don't get us started on another SX headstock discussion.
  4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

I think Mighty Mite necks are a step up from SX necks, and if you're building a "parts" bass that conforms around Fender specifications you should stick with Fender-spec parts. The SX stuff is nice for the price but the dimensions are usually off enough that you shouldn't use an SX neck with anything other than other SX stuff.
  5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I have several SX basses, and the necks have held out well in all respects for several years. Good wood, good construction, they play well and are easy to set up and work on. I've done fret levels on many and they're comparable with almost anything else I've worked on. Zero complaints.

I have a guitar with a birdseye MM neck and it's no better or worse than any of the SX necks. It's not impossible that they're made in the same factory in China.

If you want a neck to avoid for inferior quality, I'd say to stay away from anything that says Squier Affinity.
  6. Frankewhite

Frankewhite

Thanks for the info guys. I had never heard of the sx brand until recently.
  7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

They're good on SX basses. I think it depends on the SX neck. I've only ever had good luck with them myself, but I've never tried to match one up with a non SX body.
  8. darkstorm

darkstorm

I think youd also find you have harder frets on the mighty mite neck. Better for less fret wear.