Are there different Squier Vintage Modified jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I looked on Musicians Friend for a Squier VM jazz and there seem to be several models: one at $279, one at $299, one marked as a 70's jazz, and one as a 77 jazz (not to mention the fretless model). What are all these different models?

2. pudgychef

pudgychef

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. on top of that, there have been changes made recently to finishes and components, so now you also have a couple generations to choose from, even within the same models ...

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

To add to what tjh said; most, if not all, VM Jazzes made in 2013+ have a gloss-finished necks and chrome control knobs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. durus

durus

hello all. what about VM body wood? I thought that VM are made of soft maple, but in some eshop I found aghatis body of currently available models mentioned, especially for 70's natural. Could be this a mistake or new models could be really made of aghatis? many thanks

7. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Gawd, I hope they're not using agathis. Its ugly under a clear coat IMO

8. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

My 0.02: Generally, the VM 70s models, (black fretboard blocks) are soft maple-bodied. Personally, I really dig the CAR finish on that.

The VM '77s (pearloid fretboard blocks) are Agathis. The exception is that of the '77 in Amber finish; that is Maple. Frankly, I think they are all pretty nice. The dead giveaway is weight. The soft maple VM Jazzes can be noticeably heavier than, say, any comparable Squier Jazz in Alder, Agathis, or Basswood.

Agathis, to me, resembles Basswood...kind of. Squier typically finishes them solid or does a 2T/3T burst. I agree it's not a pretty wood, but a lot of otherwise "unattractive" woods in other applications can be made to look better with the right tinting and finishing. Tone is another matter on which I refuse to debate; too subjective :D.

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

They've always had those.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

You're right. I even went back to a 2008 catalog I downloaded and sure enough, chrome knobs. My bad. :oops: