Are there two different SbMM Ray34CA models?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KlingyFungus, Jul 5, 2013.

1. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

well the 749 says "classic active"
    and the 599 does not. so whatever that "classic active" is would be the difference. i'm imagining some kind of different specs.

classic active: slab body, no belly or forearm contours, glossy amber tinted neck, 38mm nut width, 34 scale, 21 vintage style frets, hard glossy coat finish, 2 band preamp that has been "revoiced for more organic feel and noise free" 19mm string spacing, ash body.

the other one has no information... so i'm guessing somewhere in that list is the price difference.
  3. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

DwaynieAD,

The $599 one has the same specs as the $749 one. That's why I had to drive to GC and physically see/play it.

As goofy as this is going to sound: Could the difference be that the $599 one is a 2-tone sunburst, versus the $749 3-tone sunburst?

Is one burst worth $150? :)
  4. Nobody

Nobody

I think the cheaper one is a guitarcenter/musiciansfriend exclusive "cheaper model. I think it's wood is "cheaper". It doesn't look as nice but if I was to get one of the two it would probably be the cheaper one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

Nobody,

Good point, about it being a GC exclusive. I just bought a SbMM S.U.B. Ray4, in Mint Green, that is a GC & Musician's Friend exclusive.

It's possible they did the same thing with this Ray34.
  7. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

I asked the exact same question on the SBMM thread several months back. IIRC, it was suggested that the 2T burst may have been a previous year's model, which is why it was less expensive. Someone else said it may have been some sort of GC special issue. The website description for the $599 had practically no info other than the price.

I bought one on a whim, then returned it. There was nothing wrong with it; I just changed my mind on an impulse purchase. When I initially bought it, I thought it was mis-priced, as it was discovered at check-out that the serial # on the bass didn't match the # on the ticket. But the counter guy at GC recorded the discrepancy in their log book, and that was that.

The tone was pretty darn close to a real MM 'Ray! When I tried both side-by-side, the notes on the Ray34 had a little less heft to them. Probably wouldn't be noticeable in a mix, though. I would go for the lower-priced model & save yourself the $150.
  8. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

AMp'D.2play, Nobody, and DwaynieAD,

I just finished talking with a representative from Praxis Musical Instruments Inc., (aka, Sterling by Music Man). She told me that the $599, 2-tone sunburst model is a Guitar Center exclusive.

The only differences being:
    1.) It has the 2-tone (versus the three-tone) sunburst finish.
    2.) It does not come with a gig bag, like the more expensive models.

I specifically asked her if there was any differences in the wood/hardware/electronics, and she said that they are the same.

I should've called them before posting, but I honestly didn't anticipate getting an answer that easily from the company. Their customer service is really pleasant to deal with.
  9. Nobody

Nobody

That's good news. I would definitely get the cheaper one then.
  10. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

Just picked up the 2 tone Sunburst without the gig bag on clearance from GC in North Paramus today. I went in to compare the Ray 34 to the SUB4 because I was hot on the SUB. Once I plugged the Ray34 in, I was blown away and for me, there really was no comparison. Maybe the Ray has better strings on it from the factory or maybe it was returned and someone else put them on. Whatever. I still thought it was a great bass. No belly or arm contour and it may take a little getting used to but I just played it at home for a while and I still like it.

Oh. And the price? $360. Oh yeah!!
  11. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I personally like a 2 tone burst FWIW.
  12. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

I got one of those also. I posted in the SBMM thread and got a nice email from member "SBMM" AKA Brian Martin VP of Sales & Marketing, Sterling By Music Man.

Here is what he had to say.

He also said that there is absolutely no difference other than the finish between the 2TB and the 3TB. Heck I looked at both and could tell no difference what so ever.

The best thing about the bass was the $365 price tag. I am now in the market for a Ray 34 with the neck that is more like a P neck and a 3 band EQ.
  13. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

Did you end up with a case for it or a gig bag?
  14. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

No those SBMM basses that were made just for GC don't come with a case or gig bag.

This was no problem for me as i already had a case and a gig bag it would fit into.
  15. himluis1

himluis1

i bought one of those a couple of weeks ago !!! $360 @ GC ...
  16. Fer BASS

Fer BASS

Hi folks!
    I´ve bought this one from GC web last month, and it´s waiting to be pick up at store by a friend of mine, who will bring it home for me (I´m from Argentina).

So... this is a 3-Tone SB... right? Or am I wrong?

[​IMG]
  17. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Looks like a 3TSB to me .