Are there unusual and/or intersting wild animals where you live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 26, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Here in San Francisco we have a thriving flock of parrots.

[​IMG]

We also have some coyotes and the usual racoons, possums, skunks, snakes, hawks etc.
    I also really like the pelicans that live here.
    [​IMG]

We also have some beautiful herons and egrets

[​IMG]
  2. paste

paste Supporting Member

My backyard is occupied by some of the fattest squirels I have ever seen. I'll try to snap some pictures of them later. There are also some black squirels I see every time I go to the Warren/Detroit area. Never knew black squirels existed until then. :eek:
  3. slobake

I look foward to the photos. My son has a black squirrel living near his house.
  4. bmc

bmc

Wild boar, red fox, deer, ferrets, owls, hawks, yellow and black salamanders, chamois, beech marten, hare, badger.

I have seen quite a few wild boar. Nasty looking creatures.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slobake

Nice, even badgers. Do the boars get into local gardens?
  7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

There were a few years that a plague of locusts descended on the small town where my grandparents used to live. Huge black and orange lubber grasshoppers. They'd show up in early summer, then vanish by the end of a month. I always thought they were cool looking.
  8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

We've seen a Great Grey Owl a couple of times. Gigantic bird with a radar dish face. Apparently only weighs 4 pounds under all those feathers.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395865579.195855.jpg
  9. sjeverett

sjeverett

There are alot of exotic game ranches in the area and it's pretty common for some to escape and run around. We have quite a few Axis deer in the city park and at the lake because of it. Tons of whitetail thst hang out at the schools and my neighnorhood. Sometimes you will see black buck antelope or kudu or a stray zebra. A friend of mine had a moose that would wander into her yeard from time to time. Then there are the usual foxes, armadillos, rattlers, coyotes, feral hogs, javalinas, hawks, oh and there is a bald eagle nest about 40 miles from here. It attracts alot of attention.
  10. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

My sisters-in-law are hyenas.
  11. plong123

plong123 All Your Bass Are Belong To Us Supporting Member

THREAD WINNER
  12. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

In Brooklyn we have Monk Parakeets
    This is how they got here
    According to http://www.brooklynparrots.com/

"Who Let The Parrots Out? – The Kennedy Airport Escape Theory
    The theory that has the greatest credence among ornithologists is that a shipment of parrots destined for sale at New York area pet shops was accidentally released at Kennedy Airport in the late 1960's (1967 or 1968). This incident was referred to as early as 1971 in an article by ornithologist John Bull.

This release was not documented at the time. The only documentation I've run across is anecdotal. The story is that a crate from Argentina was opened by accident and the birds escaped. This may have happened as early as 1962, but a separate report mentions 1967 of the parrots' "great escape."

The birds did not turn up immediately in Brooklyn (the earliest confirmed sighting here in the early 1970's), it is likely that the birds survived in the park lands surrounding Kennedy airport, and later made their way to Brooklyn College.

There are other theories. Some say that a pet store on Flatbush Avenue went out of business and released the parrots in the 1980s. One intriguing story is that the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, after many years of hosting a captive flock of monk parakeets, abandoned these birds to the skies after closing its aviary, but the JFK airport escape theory is the one that I believe is most reliable."
  13. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost

Hrm.. there are a significant number of cougars in the foothills. Feline variety too.
  15. Riseinside1892

Riseinside1892

16. bmc

bmc

They live in the local forests and it's rare to see them. If you drive the back country roads late at night when there is hardly anyone else on the road, you might see 3-5 of them. Some of them are very large and they will charge people. Nasty creatures.
  17. slobake

Did you try grilling some on a skewer? :p
  18. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Well not in montreal but where im from is just I guess usual Canadian animals. You got to see every one of them though, without really trying. Foxes, deers, wolves, bears (often too close to the house for comfort) moose, groundhogs, beavers, otters, muksrats, snow owls, regular owls, herons, hawks, pretty much every type of bird that you can get to see in quebec (my mom was an amateur ornithologist, she always made sure there were as many possible breeds of birds around our property, as a result I know by sight more than two dozens of birds, blue jays, cardinals, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, kestrels, warblers, nuthatch, swallows, sparrows, wrens, doves, blackbirds, goldfinch, etc you name them we had them) and I even saw a lynx once. Not common for this area, I always remembered it. One of the prettiest animal on earth.

Probably some more i forget.

Oh wolverines. Hmm...I might think of more. Well also the animals you see everywhere else in north America of course like porcupines, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, that kind of boring stuff...

This is the familial home (now actually technically my brother's home since my dad moved in with his common law partner) seen from the back field, panoramic view reconstructed from several pictures (as can be noticed). You might understand why it's constantly surrounded by wildlife

[​IMG]

You might call it the boonies.
  19. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

funny, we have a big ol' flock of parrots here in Tustin as well. Someone lost a domesticated pair some time back they've ruled the coop ever since.

Last week there was a heron right here at my job. Just prancin around the parking lot like it was all good...dude looked way out of place. I never see any herons around here...however we do have a marshy area about 7 miles away from me near UCI. So I'm assuming he came from there and ended up here somehow.
  20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

College students- everywhere. Very unruly.
  21. slobake

Party animals