Are these cracks? I see cracks, should I return it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just got this guitar used from GC for a steal, and I think this thing has been through hell. I just noticed these cracks too. I just wanted a guitar to noodle around with at home for the next 10+ years, will it still last me that long or should I return it?

(Yes I know it's a guitar, but I'm a busy college student, and I trust ya'll. :bag:)

2. GlennW

GlennW

They might just be cracks in the finish. They appear to be clean and going across the grain, so I doubt if there's any cracked body wood.

Not at all unusual.

3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the cracks are not following the grain and are probably just stress cracks in the finish. That happens to a lot of basses and if its just in the finish it won't compromise the playability at all.
    If you're really in love with the sound and feel of the bass and can put up with the looks then keep it. However, if you think you can get a equal or better deal on another bass without issues take it back. Good news is Guitar Center makes these issues fairly painless.
    Good luck.

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

It's common and wouldn't bother me in the least.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T. Brookins

T. Brookins

Every bass I own has cracks like these on both sides.
    They are harmless finish cracks. Sign of a good, hard coat. The wood is alive to normal climate changes, the finish isn't.

7. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Thanks everyone, none of my other instruments have these. (And if you saw the front of this thing, you'd have no problem believing that someone swung it like a bat into a concrete wall.)

8. StevieMac

StevieMac

^ well lets see some pics!

9. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Yeah, common lacquer cracks..My Laklands seemed to all have had these- and several other basses Ive owned- No biggie man-- Rock that Bass!

10. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The cracks in the first post wouldn't bother me at all. However, is the wood solid under that volume knob? It looks like something smashed right on it.

12. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Thanks for saying something, I took off the back and found this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

" I got this guitar for a steal". Now you know why.

14. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

And to think, I thought it was because it had been on the floor since July.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

You had to see the damage on top, and now you are worried about more finish cracks not on the top? Wouldn't even speculate on why the thing is so beat up, but if the pots, switch, and pups are working and you bought it cheap because of the damage, what's your concern?

16. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

None of it's structural. Someone didn't take very good care of it, but that happens to lots of axes and they play just fine for decades. No worries, enjoy it!

17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Is there a crack inside of the control cavity where that knob is pushed in? It's hard to tell.

I'm not sure what that big fat green wire is for but it doesn't look to be connected to anything.

18. GlennW

GlennW

It is disconnected.

The shadow knows.

19. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

There is. I also just tried to reconnect the wire, and pulled up a wiring diagram. I can understand the wires being different color since the pick ups are aftermarket, but they aren't even running in the same configuration. You see the one screw hole that's totally split? Two more are heading that way. It's going back tomorrow, shame since I loved the finish, bridge pick up and neck. :scowl:

The tone knob pot is hanging out all by itself so I'm guessing that.

At least I'm only out $20. Or not, why did I make a pro con list?

20. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Let's see;
    -Do both the pickups work?
    -Do the controls and tuners work?
    -Is the neck bolted on nice and tight?
    -Does it sound and feel good to you?

If the answer to all of these is "yes", then congratulations; you got a good deal for $20. Especially if all you wanted it for in the first place was to "noodle around at home for the next 10 years". I'm sure you'll have a better one by the time you're ready for your World Concert Tour.;)

21. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I'm not sure honestly, bridge PUP is great but I can't tell the neck PUP from the middle one. Which might have to do with:
    nothing is connected to the tone knob, but the tuners are solid.
    Yes, my god I love the neck, great feel, it has the sexy strip down the back.
    Yes! I'm still adjusting from playing bass, but over all yes.

And it actually cost me $98, if I returned it I'd only be out $20 for shipping.