1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are these strings too short?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassinplace, Mar 3, 2013.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Hello,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have not changed strings many times so far in my relatively short time I've been playing. I just got a brand new American Standard J bass yesterday and I wanted to put a set of Chromes on it. I got the salesguy to throw in a set for free. I went to put them on today and the silks are crossing the nut. Are they too short or am I doing something wrong? I haven't actually inserted anything into the tuning posts yet. Thanks!
  2. FourBanger

FourBanger

I don't think they fit if strung through the body, nor is it recommended for Chromes as the break over the bridge is too much for them. If you've not tightened them up yet you should still be safe to remove them and go through just the bridge.
  3. bassinplace

bassinplace

I brought 'em back and traded 'em for some Rotosound 77 Jazz Bass strings. I put 'em through the body and they're still a bit on the short side, only about one or two wraps around each post. I didn't realize I could also put 'em through the bridge. Hopefully that'll work out. It won't damage the strings or do any harm, will it?