Are you a Facebook "liker"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are some people on Facebook who like each and every post of each and every person. I only like things that I really, really like. What do you do? No need to badmouth Facebook here - we know some of us hate it.

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

If I really like something, I click "Like". Or I'll click "Like" to support various activities or projects by people I'm friends with (bands, films, charity events, etc...).

If you ate a burrito for lunch and took a photo of it, I will not click "Like".

3. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I will "like" for family and friends, to let 'em know I saw and approved. Or to show support for a viewpoint that I agree with.

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I will like things that people put on my wall or tag me in to show that I saw and appreciated it. On occasion I'll see something come up that's worth a like, but I'm pretty sparing with those. I'd feel awkward liking something posted by someone I haven't even interacted with since high school

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I use Facebook mainly for advirtising what I'm doing. So I click like mostly to bass and audio pro related stuff if I really like. Well, I must admit that sometimes I click other stuff too...

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm not on Facebook. I'm one of 3 people I know without it.

8. Truktek2

Truktek2

What really irks me is when someone "likes" their own comment.

No kidding genius, you were the one that posted it. :rolleyes:

9. mcnach

mcnach

Can you even "like" your own posts?

That shows you how much attention I pay to facebook!

10. Truktek2

Truktek2

You could've when I was on it, but maybe it changed?

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

I like photos of sick children and puppies so that facebook sends money to them. I make sure that I share them and let everyone of my friends know that if they don't like them they have no heart. I am sure they appreciate the opportunity to show their humanity.

12. DblG

DblG

I'm a lover not a liker.

13. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

Nah, I was on for about a year. Connected with a tonna people I hadn't seen in decades then quickly realized that it was probably a good thing we weren't friends this whole time. Nothing more disheartening than to find the happy go lucky kids you ran with are all now a buncha bitter teabagging gun hoarders, or, from their perspective, I was still the america hatin libtard that needed to be yelled at for my beliefs. After awhile it turned out the only people I was active with on Facebook were people I see everyday in person so I shut that whole thing down. Pointless for an old coot like me, I suppose.

14. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I "Like" just about anything that gives me a smile or makes me chuckle. I'll also give a "Like" to show support, like if a friend is launching a business or something. Sometimes, I'll use it as a "+1" to support something someone else has said.

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Clicking "LIKE" on FB or any ads helps Facebook to create a huge profile on you that they constantly build and sell. They also build a profile based on all your friends and your friends' friends where they can even determine your religious and sexual preferences with more than 90+% accuracy.

In Germany, the laws there allowed a fellow to request a copy of his profile from FaceBook - it was 1200 pages!

FaceBook is pure evil. They change your privacy settings without notification, and some items, like the tracking of "likes" cannot be opted out of. It is solely exists to gather and re-sell your personal information.

16. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    Not usually. I haven't actually updated my own page in about a year so I should probably just throw in the towel.

17. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I like this thread.

18. rtslinger

rtslinger

I am not on facebook myself but my band is so no I am not a liker

19. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I like posts I really like, and that should be around 5 to 10% of what I see and actually take time to read.

Let's say around 10 likes a day when I'm in the mood... sometimes I won't like anything for a week.

20. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

About once a month I'll think of a [DEL]witty[/DEL] lame comment, post it and leave. I don't even read [DEL]what anyone[/DEL] [DEL]else is doing[/DEL] the memes anymore.

21. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

My 25 year old nephew went missing on December 7th of 2011 after attending a concert. Usually when someone goes missing the media covers it twice. They do a story once when the person goes missing and again when they are found.

I had a fairly large FB base (800 or so), of which 90% were and are musicians. When the local CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates did a story about his disappearance I linked their stories to my page. Apparently this caused their pages to get a large number of hits. The following day all three stations contacted the family for an update and did another story. A reported from the ABC affiliate said that it was because his disappearance was the hottest story on their site.

I took this knowledge and used it. I sent private massages to my musician contacts and asked them to share my links daily, many of them did. For this reason his story stayed a top local story for the seven weeks that he was missing. Friends on Talkbass and several drum forums also helped to spread the word.

Sadly, the story ends badly. On January 23rd 2012 My Nephew Jimmy Slack's body was found in the river near the venue that had the concert. It was a tragic end and has impacted my family forever.

The point of my sharing this is that I saw an instance where social media can have a positive impact. Although obviously things did not out how we had wanted, we were able to keep the search for Jimmy and our hopes alive during this most horrible time.

I am still on FB, and I still use it to promote bands and projects. But I will also "like" and spread the word for people who need me to.