1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are you a string hoarder?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Jan 11, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

I have issues with strings....I like them a lot and I like to have many sets on hand. Some folks stock up on food, water and ammo for end of the world scenarios......but me it is bass strings. I like to have no less than 10 sets of strings on hand and I like to have sets on hand that are harder to find or at least that I know I can't find at the regular guitar box stores. But bassstringsonline.com has come into my life and removed my unhealthy fear of being stringless for a long period of time, but I find myself ordering a few sets once a month and just storing them away. I have issues don't I? Please tell me there is another string geek out there.....:eyebrow:
  2. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I found a great deal on strings once. Once. In large qty's they were like $11.00 a set. I think I may have bought a lifetime supply.......
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have a large drawer that is full of strings (mostly flats).
    Every time I look in it I think to myself I could have a real nice bass for what I have spent on strings :atoz:
  5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I always have about 10 unopened sets in my drawer full of bass bits.

I'm a sucker for the occasional great deal. I bought about 10 sets of Blue Steels when my GC blew them out for $5/pack. Amazon had Sunbeams for $13/pack, I bought about 6 packs. Recently, GC had 2 packs of Dunlop nickels for $20, so I bought four sets.
  6. BassBob1

BassBob1

I also sort of hoard strings. I have a bunch of everything from lightly used steel rounds to really worn out flats. I could have easily bought a pretty nice bass for what I have spent on strings over the last few years. I think the only reason (besides not having any money) that I haven't kept buying strings is that I have so many sets sitting around that if I want to try something different it's already there. I always gravitate back to a really old set of chromes or pretty worn in set of sunbeams so I should really toss a lot of the other ones.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Good afternoon everyone, and welcome to this meeting for Bass Strings Anonymous (BSA)... our first speaker today will be, tom ... >>> ( ThuNDerOus ApPlaUse!!)

" Umm ... Hello everyone, my name is, tom" >> Hiiiiii ToMMMM!!!

"Well, I am not sure how it started, but .. ummm ... I buy bassstrings ... ummm ... flatwound bass strings ..........................."
  8. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Umm, yah.

As long as your OCD with strings doesnt interfere with your personal life, i wouldnt worry about it. :p
  9. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

not in terms of unopened strings, but I have about 15 sets in various states laying around at the moment
  10. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I don't know if it's classified as hoarding, but I certainly have a hard time throwing away bass strings. They cost so much that I can't quite justify getting rid of them. For example, I removed a set of GHS Precision Flats from my 5er in lieu of D'Addario Tapewounds. Now, the Tapes are likely never coming off of that bass, so I have a set of GHS flats sittin' around. I think I might try them on my Ibanez acoustic bass and see what happens..
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

You may have issues.
    Do you gig a lot ?
  12. hufe

hufe Supporting Member

Usually have a spare set or two, and don't buy another one until I change strings.
  13. bootsox

bootsox

I keep old strings, and have about 8 years worth of strings in a milk crate in the closet. Pretty cool to see how my preference in strings has gone from blue steels to hi beams to whatever I can get cheapest
  14. armybass

Average 6-10 a month.
  15. armybass

:D
  16. Mike M.

Mike M.

No, but it's only because I've never really made up my mind on which strings best suit any particular bass that I have.
  17. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

So what do we do with old strings?
  18. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I put my old strings on students instruments as they are usually better that what's on them.
  19. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I make Num-chucks from my old strings!
  20. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I don't hoard them on purpose, but I keep thinking I've found the best strings ever, buying two or three sets, and then changing my mind. And, sometimes I'll buy a complete set plus one or two singles to make a custom set. So, I've got all these random strings in the closet.