1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are you endorsed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DannyBob, Dec 27, 2013.

?

Are you endorsed?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    89.7%
  1. DannyBob

DannyBob

Just wondering how many of you guys are endorsed?

I personally am not, but would like to know how - apart from the standard "you need publicity and to play well etc."

Thanks
  2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

You have it somewhat backwards. The artist endorses the manufacturer's product, not the other way around.

I endorse a few products, but nobody cares. ;)

When your music makes an impact upon enough other musicians a manufacturer MAY be interested in your endorsement.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    ^ what he said.

Edit - that was a bit abbreviated. First, if you don't use and love the equipment you're interested in endorsing FIRST, you're doing it wrong. Very few endorsements involve free gear, at least for anyone other than the top tier guys. Most deals involve getting gear at steep discounts (what basically amounts to dealer cost). The real advantage to a deal is the relationship between you and the company you're already wildly enthusiastic about anyway.
  4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Oh. I get it now :) that was basically what I didn't get at first. Wow. That makes so much sense....hahahaha
  5. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

I'm endorsed by Air Guitars. They are always looking for new talent, if you would like me to give you their contact info.

The only problem I've had with them is that every time I put away any of the gear that I've received, I can never find it again!
  6. DannyBob

DannyBob

Don't think they would be interested in a guy over here in the UK (no one ever is ;)) but thanks anyway man
  7. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

The big name companies pay me not to use their stuff.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those "I'll endorse you, if you endorse me" threads. :D
  9. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Mine was an attempt at humor. It was only intended to entertain. I didn't mean to mislead anyone.
  10. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I'll give you fifty bucks to order a new Roscoe for me........
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    That'll get it started. Just send the other 3 grand before you get it.
  12. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    It's a mutually beneficial relationship. Kinda like friends with benefits.
  13. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    What he said.
  14. DannyBob

DannyBob

Thanks guys :) I wasn't interested really in getting one myself at the moment, just wanted to know the process of 'how it's done'.
  15. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

So it's basically just "supersized customer service" with your favorite brand('s)?
  16. newbold

newbold

Perhaps you're referring to sponsorships...which, if I'm not mistaken, are even harder to come by.
  17. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  18. DannyBob

DannyBob

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    :D
    It can go both ways. It really depends on the manufacturer and the artist. I am listed on Spector's site as an endorsing artist and can buy direct at a discount. Same for Curt Mangan Strings. I was given the same opportunity with EBS Amplifiers but turned it down.
  20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Like most threads regarding endorsements, there's a serious disregard for definitions. To endorse means to recommend, to attest to the veracity of. The deal is the ARTIST does the endorsing. Joe Cool says "Fugly Kilowatt is the GREATEST bass amp in the world!" and Fugly Kilowatt LLC provides Joe and his band gear. Maybe free, but not very often. More likely they'll help with tour support, making sure their amps are available for Joe to use for a TV gig so they don't have too much hassle moving gear around, and providing replacement if the main rig goes down on tour. There's a lot of levels, but not nearly as much free gear as some TB folks believe, and even less "endorsement for cash" deals than the more jaundiced TB people would assert. Read the thread Roy Vogt linked to- it's a good overview of the music biz.

But remember, the musician does the endorsing and endorses the gear, they don't get endorsed unless your mom says she likes you- that's her endorsing you.

John