1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

are you making music all the time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Nov 7, 2012.

1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

so everytime you pickup your instrument do you feel musical? i dont know when i pick it up either i know exactly what am going to "practice" or i just fiddle around for a while and then put it back :-/ but i never feel musical
    i have been working on ear training and picking up songs by ear a lot, almost everyday and now i can figure out everything i have to with some effort but i dont feel musical you know that i can make music of my own or have musical ideas. i cant come up with melodies of my own or okay a solo which makes sense. how do i fix that?

ps: ive studied some harmony, theory etc i have practiced a lot of scales and arpeggios and walking bass lines so basically i mean i have put in some work into this and learned to play jazz standards etc but yeah nothing original :atoz:
  2. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

wow come to think of it i might have posted a thread like this a long time back as well so after a lot of time and lessons and practice not much has changes but i can just play more things maybe. anyway i was thinking am 22 i dont know when will i feel like i have something to say musically? and how does one get there?
    i mean i can play bass and accompany a lot of musicians but how do i feel like am doing something which satisfies me you know make a musical statement? i know am not a songwriter but i want to express myself through my instrument but i am just not able to for some reason and its very frustrating
  3. oniman7

oniman7

Take a sad song and make it happy. A slow song and make it groovy. Take a metall song and reduce it to acoustic chords. You know the theory. Now look for its application.

One of my favorite exercises is to create a groove with a box pattern. 4 notes. Then take away the 5th and make it 3 notes. Then just the root and the second. Then, to create a groove with one note.

Melodic playing (outside of the normal bassist's role) is hard for me on a bass. I compose, but a lot of it is on guitar or keyboard. My favorite instrument is still the bass, though.

Also, play things that inspire you
  4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Sorry to necro, but I feel I have something pertinent. No less than Miles Davis once said that, "sometimes it takes a long time to play like yourself". Keep sheddin'! :bassist: You'll get there! :D
  5. maxgrant

maxgrant Supporting Member

Always make music. Even if it's boring music (playing scales).

Don't practice doing things unmusically. You'll get good at it.