1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are you part of an "Odd Couple?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 26, 2013.

?

Are you the opposite of your significant other?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2014.
  1. Yes my S.O. is totally the opposite of me

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No My S.O. and I are very much alike

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Maybe, we are different but not comletely

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. I am solitary but looking for an oddball soul partner

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. I am solitary but looking for a soul partner a lot like me

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. I don't want and/or need a partner I am comfortable with my own oddball self

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. No poll is complete without the obligatory carrots.

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I have heard that opposites attract.
    In some ways my wife and I are polar opposites. She is linear, neat, organized, and I am spontaneous, sloppy and creative ( another word for unorganized :p). Yes we have both changed over our 33 years together and grown more like each other. I am a lot neater and organized than I used to be and she can roll with unexpected things a lot better. Still we are a lot like two pieces of a puzzle. Because we are so opposite we fit together nicely.
    Don't be me wrong there are ways that we are very alike. We are both compassionate, generous, and modest :p people. But if someone asks us how to get somewhere chances are we will both point in opposite directions and give a comletely different route.
    What about you? Are you involved with a significant other that is the opposite of you or are you more like each other? Or maybe somewhere in the middle. Or maybe you are just content with who you are and complete without a partner.
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

I've learned that opposites attract but don't necessarily make good long term relationships. You need to have common interests or you will drift apart in time.
    My wife and I are coming up on our 32nd anniversary in Feb.
    We are very much alike, but not exactly. We both hold very similar viewpoints on most subject matter. We both like the same music, literature, movies & TV programs, but she doesn't like NFL Football! Cant have it all I guess...
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman

Carrots.

My wife and I are as much alike as we are different. As soon as we decide how much we are the same, we would have to argue the point, as we are very different, and yet the same, but sort of different. Redundant? Yes. Yes. I suppose so. Yes.

The point is, as much as we are different, we are much alike.
  4. slobake

Marriage can be confusing sometimes. :p
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

In as much as anything I'm associated with has some sort of oddball aspect, it would be safe to say we are an oddball couple, but only to the extent that I'm half of the equation.

Wifey is very grounded, practical, and smart. I'm not.
  6. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

She is the opposite of me in almost every way.

I am more irresponsible, stupid, creative, and tenacious.
    She is the adult, very intelligent, sticks to standard approved established practices, when she fails she gives up.

She also sight reads like one would read text and speak out loud, but she cannot improvise. She cannot play anything on a piano without printed music. She cannot figure out a tune from just hearing it.

I am slow with written music, but play by ear pretty well. She doesn't understand how I am able to play along with something on the radio that I am in the midst of hearing for the first time.

I can fix anything with duct tape, JB Weld, and safety wire.
    She doesn't buy broken stuff in the first place, and has never had to develop such skills.

She's a bit uptight because the world is going to hell in a hanbasket.
    I am trying to enjoy the ride.
  7. slobake

I always tell people "Yes, I am very smart. I married her didn't I?" :D
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

We're similar to the point of incest. Using advanced genetic and evolutionary psychology diagnostics we've determined that we'll compound all of our...uh... charming qualities.

Here's an artist's interpretation of our offspring:

[​IMG]
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

We are mainly alike but she has a quick temper which i do not in any way have (except when i lose objects or when electronics don't work properly, both these hings can send me in a irrational rage real quick but i don't direct it at people). Well i say quick temper...she is sometimes i think a little too overly sensitive and reads into what some people or say things that are not necessarily there, that's the real difference.

She does not share or much understand my interest for video games (though sometimes she will entertain a discussion about them).

We both have anxiety disorders which helps because we can understand how the other one feels when it gets bad. Our overall views on society, politics etc are pretty much the exact same.

Our musical tastes are very similar though not completely alike. Same for our taste in movies and well...art in general. Very similar overall, but not quite completely alike.

We are both not tidy ,however, i do at some point have a compulsion to clean (and when i do i do it VERY well, my mom pretty much forced us to maintain a pristine house when i was a kid and teen) and i do actually enjoy when things are in order i'm just often too lazy to bother. Whereas she pretty much never has a real compulsion to put things in order or clean (though she likes lists).

We are both not terribly social but i guess i'm worse than her. The problem is i can't fake social graces as well as she can.

She is more materialistic than i am, too. But it has to be said i'm a notoriously unmaterialistic person, i barely ever want anything. She's just actually normal in that respect, really.

I think that's about the extent of our differences.

We are definitely seen as odd by pretty much everyone though...
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Option three for me. The differences we have help even us both out, while the similarities strengthen our bond.

-Mike
  11. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I'm offended by this thread because all people are the exact same, there is no such thing as odd in the new PC world
  12. slobake

You must be looking for the Jesus and Santa are White thread. That one is the next door.
  13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Same: Role of government, child rearing and importance of family, living by the golden rule, spiritual but not religious, respectful, never nagging, nitpicking or fighting, vacations in warm sunny places.

Different: genres of music, quality beer vs quality bourbon, food choices, movie preferences, ability to sleep, organization (she has none), salaries, patience (she has it in spades), shopping and cooking (all me), looks - ALL HER!

7 years in...not one fight yet. I'd love to hear her raise her voice, haven't heard her yell or seen her angry.....ever.

Our differences keep things interesting while our similarities keep things seamless. She could care less what I spend my money on and because of that fact sometimes it's her that I spend it on.
  14. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Oh excuse me :p
  15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

At the macro level, marriages and long-term relationships include people who are homogenous rather than heterogeneous. This means similar education level, socio-economic background, values, theological beliefs, etc. Of course, there are always going to be outliers.

I agree with tangentmusic. In the short term, opposites can be very interesting, but IME, once the novelty of that wears off, there really isn't much left to sustain a long-term relationship. Personally speaking, my longest and most fulfilling relationship was with someone who was very, very similar to myself.
  16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Without going into details, we're very different, but we get along well.
  17. capnjim

capnjim

You forgot the one option 90% of married men are faced with:
    I'm sane, and she's nuts
  18. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Well, I don't have alien hand syndrome...
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm over a foot taller than her (6ft4 vs 5ft3) and I have a soul (she's a redhead). :p
  20. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Weirdly enough, me and my girl are almost exactly alike. On an almost creepy level. We even look the same.