1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are you the first to notice when your guitarist goes out of tune?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Jan 8, 2014.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I'm just curious really.
    During practice, gigs and such, I am generally always the first one to say something about one of my guitar players being out of tune. Neither of them will notice it until you mention something, which I have let a few songs during a practice session go by without mentioning anything.

What about other bassists? I know it's somewhat a lame question, but maybe bassists just have an ear for this sort of thing. Maybe guitarists just don't care? I would like to believe that, but many of the bands I have been in are suprised I can tell which of the guitarists is out of tune, on top of what string it generally is.

Anyone do the same :)
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, many years ago when I was much younger I ran into a few guitards that were that way - but, not anymore (knock on wood).
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman

I have harassed my guitarist about his tuning so much that now he spends a ridiculous amount of time looking at his tuner.

Of course, that's probably better than his being out of tune, but still.

You have to be careful what you wish for.
  4. fireandbass

fireandbass

I mostly play guitar in my bands, and i'm always the one telling the other guitarist and the bass player when they are out of tune.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Not for a second. Don't think I would have any interest in playing in a band with somebody who cannot tell they are out of tune, especially when playing with other musicians.
  6. Einherjar

Einherjar

Hearing damage? Or possibly brain damage... :p lol.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

In my last band with 3 guitarists all with fuzz pedals, it was common that they were all out of tune and none would realize it.

In my new band with 1 guitar player, he's been out of tune once and mended it well with some string bending.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

I always notice instantly if a guitar is out of tune. I have the same thing with timing if somebody is off.
  9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

No, our guitarist typically notices first.
  10. hudpucker

hudpucker

Only suckos don't notice when they're out of tune. Goes for both guitarists and bassists.
  11. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

The last band I was in, the guitarist was always out of tune, so I bought him a clip-on tuner. I think he took the hint, because we never had a problem after that.
  12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    My guitarist tunes way more then he needs to.
  13. Einherjar

Einherjar

The worst I ever experienced was a guitar player obsessed with perfect intonation. And he had a locking nut on his guitar. So each practice started with one song, then an hour of him tweaking his bridge because his intonation was a hairs width off. It got REALLY old REALLY fast.
  14. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Yeah. Almost every time.
    They're probably going deaf; we have a china cymbal from hell, the guitarist has a line6 half stack @ 150 watts, and our jam space is tiny. I'm the only guy with hearing protection, I don't know how they can stand that huge level of noise.
  15. gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

Last gig I gave my guitarist 'that look' when the intro of the 3rd song of the night was out of tune, then realised it was me, had tuned my G to an F.
  16. klejst

klejst

Yeah but good luck telling them that...remember the guitarists can do no wrong :bag:
  17. spade2you

spade2you

No joke. Out of tune guitarists, pitchy singers, and drummers that couldn't carry a consistent beat just ruin one's day. Decent abilities and they rule with an iron fist.