1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Area J help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Herbie Chesnutt, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

I have a used set of Area Js that I wanted to toss up into the classifieds but it looks like I've sort of buggered them pretty thoroughly. I was wondering if there is a way to get them back into shape. If not, I'll keep them.

One, the leads are snipped short. Do i just solder on more wire? It was dumb to snip them, I know now, but I slipped these into a Jag and there were wires everywhere already and these pups are more than wire curious on their own. They sound weak in parallel so they are in permanent series mode. The other leads are snipped just long enough to take the plate off when soldered to the pots.

Second, The bad part. The grey wire has come completely off on the neck pup and the grey wire on the bridge is barely hangin on. Any way a hamfisted noob can fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The gray wire is a shield wire, if I'm not mistaken. It's not really a functional ground or anything.
    If you can carefully attach it, try to resolder. But if not, I'm pretty sure they will still work. The shielding inside the pickup won't connect to anything, but the pickups will still function.

If I'm wrong, somebody correct me. But I'm pretty sure it's just a connection to the shielding though. In this pic, you can see the copper tape and it would connect to that:

[​IMG]

3. Herbie Chesnutt

Cool. Good to know they aren't totally toast.

I don't think I'll attempt resoldering. My few attempts at this sort of thing turned out pretty bad. Think I'll just put them up cheap and someone heartier than myself can take the gamble.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    PM me about that ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

The grey wire grounds the pickup poles and shielding. Not a big deal, and can be resoldered. The pickup will function without it, but might pickup noise from your fingers when they touch the poles until it has been resoldered.

7. Herbie Chesnutt

Makes sense. So many wires on these.

I had a geddy pup that a came apart. I tried to solder it and in under 10 seconds the thing was a mess and totally jacked. Just not good at this sort of thing. I wish I was...

Thanks for the info.