Argh!!! Microphonic Instrument Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GK Growl, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

I play only passive basses and have had good luck with Monster Cables (I know, everyone hates them) but they always kink up really bad. So I figured I'd try a Planet Waves cable. Great flexibility, coil and uncoil nicely, don't kink but....extremely microphonic. What cables are you passive guys/gals using that:

1. Don't kink badly. I expect a little with a lot of movement but the Monster cables would almost knot.
    2. Aren't microphonic.
    3. Low Capacitance. I know the Monsters have a rep for killing highs although I never noticed that but the kinking alone is worth it for me to avoid them.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you're rolling cable properly it shouldn't kink at all.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by microphonic cable, but I would return it for a new cable if it was anything less than dead silent.
    I use Canare GS-6 with Neutrik ends. I use the same cable for passive and active basses, guitars, acoustics, basically anything that needs a 1/4" TS cable.

3. GK Growl

GK Growl

I'm assuming I'm rolling them properly. I loose coil them exactly as they came out of the package, allowing the cable to naturally roll without forcing it. As far as microphonics, with volume all the way down on the bass, stepping on the cable or the cable dragging across the floor produces an audible sound through the speakers, almost like tapping a pickup or something.

4. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Mogami 2524 with Neutrik ends. I will buy it again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I like the Lava cables that are made for bass.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Any cable with decent jacks will do. Last one i bought was a cordial, works fine.

8. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I haven't had any issues with any cords. The only thing that happens is that eventually cheap ones fail, but it takes a while.