1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

2. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Does anyone have a closeup photo of the control cavity of an Aria Pro II SB-1000 (older one if possible) or RSB-900 - I believe the two models were basically the same, except for the headstock design. I recently came upon an RSB-900 but the electronics are in shambles. It's probably a lost cause but would like to compare with a photo of a functioning circuit if anyone has one!
    Thanks!

3. Brian D

Brian D

yeah, it sure did Jason! I put on the missing saddle and actually someone else here needed some saddles so I sent the remainder to them. I kept the one I needed and the base plate... got some plans for that in the future. ;)

I managed to get a replacement pickup off a local guy in a trade. It's from the bridge position of an SB-R80.

I just need to make some time for putting the bass together. I had a few other projects that I had to finish first. Had some problems with my J which is one of my main players and needed to sort that. Thankfully it's ok now so the SB is next on the list. :D

4. bassyeah

bassyeah

subscribing to the new thread...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Somebody hand me a club number; I'm pretty sure my Aria Pro II Avante 6er wont sell any time soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. aggiebass09

aggiebass09

I used to have an Aria IGB-55. It was a beautiful blue 5 string. Great starter 5 string for sure.

8. Brian D

Brian D

Mmmm,... that's a damn nice bass! I love those Steve Bailey Avante's. :cool:

As for the numbers, I think with this thread it will be the same as the last. No numbers... easier that way and less people posting just to get a number - more discussions! :hyper:

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Sweet.

Yeah, it's not a bad bass, but it's very heavy and very wide. I think the design would have been greatly improved with a curved body much like a Spector.

Anybody else think that the spacing on it is a little wide?

10. Alembic83

Yes, I know what you mean about projects remaining unfinished. The bass where your replacement saddle came from has been on the back burner for about 5 months now. It may need a new truss rod/fingerboard! :( If so, it may just become a parts bass.

Also have an Aria Integra IGB that needs pickups (Bartolini soapbar size), a Yamaha neck and pickups but no body, and now that Aria Pro II RSB-900 that came in with dodgy circuitry. So a lot of basses that need attention!

Do post pics of your restored BnG when you can, though!

11. Davidp158

Davidp158

Hey, y'all. I'm new to this forum, searched the previous Aria thread, but couldn't find what I was after and hope it's OK to post here.

I have an Aria Pro II 5 string bass that I am trying to identify its model number, approximate age and value. Per a scan of an old Aria catalog, I believe its a variation of the AP Series IGB-015T. I've read some comments that the AP Series are "custom shop" instruments from Aria.

This bass has neck through body construction, and the neck appears to be made of 4 pieces of maple (the 2 outside ones are highly flamed) with dark wood strips between them. The body is mahogany with highly flamed maple top "wings" on both sides of the neck. The hardware is gold plated, and the bridge says Aria ProII on it. The headstock has an AP logo on it.

NOTE: The bass I have has been somewhat modified; The original pickups replaced with Bartonlini pickups and active electronics. The control knobs appear to be in the same position as those in the catalog photo, but probably came with the new electronics. My bass has a switch for passive/active modes that was probably added with the new pickups and electronics. One of the screws on the back plate does not line up with the interior cavity. This is also probably due to the new electronics. The case is not original, as it has a Brian Moore emblem on it.

thanks in advance, for your time - Dave

Attached Files:

12. pajrul

pajrul

13. Dee_01

Dee_01

This bass was stolen from my home in Sheffield, England somewhere between 11th and 20th July. It's an Aria Pro II SB-R 150. Very rare, you really don't see these around too often. The loss of this bass has been heartbreaking as it's the first decent bass I have owned and it was bought as a present. I'd had it about 6 weeks, so the thrill of owning it hadn't even worn off.

Some info:

Serial starts with a 3 (1983 model). Full serial is unknown. Neck pickup has no output. Still has "Made In Japan" sticker on back of headstock. Has a lacquer chip on the edge of the fretboard (treble side) somewhere near the 9th fret, it's approx. 1" long by 1/4" wide.

If anyone in the UK sees this bass, please get in touch via private message. Thanks!

:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. J-Building

J-Building

Got an Aria PRo II ZZB custom I picked up from a guy in LA. Will get pics up when it comes back from the shop. The neck pickup was completely silent due to either something in the soldering or the pickup selector.

15. factorplayer

factorplayer

Tell me about the Aria Pro II - What do you guys think of the re-issued Cliff Burton model?

16. Alembic83

Hi, here is a better scan of the catalog shot you originally had:

[​IMG]

As you have heard, these are from Aria's "custom shop" and you rarely see them! You seem correct in IDing it as a modified IGB-015T, too. It looks nice! Do you have any more pics?

As for age, my AP Custom catalog was from around 1991-1992, so I guess it's from that range. As for value, that's hard to say since I don't recall seeing any like this for sale on the used market. I guess the original retail price would have been around 200,000 Yen judging from the prices of other Aria Custom Shop basses. Here is a link to the AP Custom catalog, as well as the regular Aria Pro 1993 catalog if anyone is interested:
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/...ia Pro Catalogs/AP Pro Musician Line 1991-92/

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/vintagejapanbass/Aria Pro Catalogs/1993 Catalog/

17. Russell foulkes

Russell foulkes

check out the part one thread,theres a few reviews over there.

18. Davidp158

Davidp158

Alembic83 - Thanks for the better Aria Pro catalog photos and links. I haven't seen many Aria Pro guitars or basses in the US, but think they look pretty nice. My AP bass is very well made, and everyone who plays it flips for it. I recently saw an old Police video, and Andy Summers was playing some sort of Les Paul-ish Aria guitar that was likely an Aria Pro model.

cheers,
    Dave

19. The Hammer

The Hammer

20. blackandwhite

blackandwhite

A previous owner mauled the original pickup out of there
    and replaced it with an EMG, swapped out all the electronics
    and fashioned a crappy plexiglass pickguard to cover all the damage.

It has a beautiful woodgrain and an amazing straight neck
    that has stayed in tune for the year I've had it.
    Body has numerous nicks and dings.
    Rings like a piano. The serial number makes it a 1980 model.

You can't see in the pics but the fingerboard has a strip of lighter colour
    running from the nut to the 12th fret, right between the A and D strings.

Low quality pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. gafbass02

gafbass02

I bought this as an '83 SBR-80 but im starting to wonder with the no name truss rod and pearl white finish if its not a Elite 2??
    Either way i love it!! the tuners are non original, ( i swapped the non original black for gold) but i bought it to play so dont mind at all, its tatty, but sounds TOP!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.