Aria Pro 2 TSB 550 - any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dllive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. dllive

dllive

Im in the market for a new bass. I play funk and have been holding out for a vintage 70's P Bass. However, they all seem to be thousands of pounds which I dont have.
    Ive just seen this: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/bass-guitar-aria-pro-2-tsb-550--very-rare-1984/1004811427

I know nothing about Aria. I like the look of it and its 30 years old so Im hoping it has a fantastic tone. Im interested to hear what you knowledgeable folks have to say. Is it worth what he's asking for?
  2. Immigrant

Immigrant

Heres some info:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html

The build quality of vintage Aria Pro IIs is amazing. Elsewhere on this forum, you'll find the Aria Pro II club thread(s), and eventually, others will chime in that know WAY more than I.

I'm not sure what the going rate for Aria Pros is where you are, but unless that bass is in immaculate condition, the price may be a little high. And also, it's a medium scale bass, 2 inches shorter than the typical Fender-type bass. Some hate that, some love it (me). :p

Good luck!
  3. dllive

dllive

Thanks Immigrant - some useful comments there.

Ill obviously try it out before I buy it, but always good to get thoughts from people more experienced than I.

I presume - because of the split pickup thing - that it will sound similar to a P bass. I would dearly love a 30 year old P bass (who wouldnt!?), but cant afford one, so this seems a good compromise.
  4. bassteban

bassteban

I wouldn't bet on that bass having a great P tone due to the scale, PU position & most importantly the neck-through(as opposed to bolt-on). All that said I'd still want to check it out.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Anthony Barrett

Anthony Barrett

I can only speak with regards an Aria SB Special II I owned in the eighties and a SB 1000 RI I currently own. Great quality, versatile sounds. A little bit of a niche sound I would say. Tony Butler of Big Country played a TSB in the 80's. If you you-tube "Big Country Angle Park Live, the Tube 1983" you can hear it. A lot of chorus, played through a Trace Elliot. Not the vanilla sound, but a vague idea of it for you to listen to.
  7. dllive

dllive

8. bassteban

bassteban

Scale is the length of the open strings: 34 inches is more less *standard*; the Aria is 32. Some like, some don't notice. I prefer 34. IMO there is a tonal diff- shorter equalling *muddier*