1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aria Pro bass-w guitar sized humbucks

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Dec 21, 2013.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

My mid 80's Aria Pro II has 2 guitar sized humbuckers both measure at about 7.6k.

I have MANY guitar humbuckers....have spent countless hours swapping different magnets...A2,A3,A4,A5 with varying magnet strengths in & out of lots of guitars.

I KNOW what magnet can swapping can do in a guitar pickup; from the soft,mellower more compressed A2 sound to the more powerful bottom end and tighter tone of A5.

I also have several Bill Lawrence guitar blade humbuckers varying from 6k (bright and clean with great bottom end) to super hot early 500XL and another very early Lawrence that is a hot brighter wind.

BUT, I am curious about trying a traditional guitar humbucker in this bass that I can swap magnets in & out of.

I can swap magnets without actually removing the pickup...its easy to do if you have sufficient wire length.

Has anyone experimented with different magnets in bass guitars (which obviously you would need a bar magnet humbucker like most guitar humbuckers have)?

Btw, I have a 71 Musicmaster bass that has the stock pickup (guitar pickup?) and it is an excellent sounding bass.

You should hear it thru my buddys early 70s Ampeg SVT rig!:bassist:

2. GlennW

GlennW

I swapped the stock ceramic for an alnico on a DeArmond Turbo-Jet bass pickup, and preferred the ceramic. I tried it in an Aria ProII CSB-380 (I think).

With a guitar HB, I'd also try it with a coil split for a single coil option.

Your MusicMaster should have a Strat pickup in it, btw, and many Strat pickups do sound real good in basses.

The advantage with some of the Aria basses is the tight string spacing which will work well with guitar pickups.

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks for that info!

Another good option is wiring in parallel if it has 4 conductor wiring, that way it sounds like a single coil but is still humbucking.

Unfortunately, a lot of my pickups are 2 conductor so I can't split coils or wire in parallel!

Yes, I agree with the stock Strat pickup sounding good in Musicmasters BUT, I think I am going to pull the Musicmaster pickup and install it in a Japan Fender Strat......this way I can try my Duncan Hot Rails in parallel (which will make it brighter and clean vs. the stock series hot darker sound) in the Musicmaster for fun and to eliminate the hum.