Aria Pro II Cardinal bass - wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 17, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

They pop up on eBay every now and then.

That grain is great! Mine is a set neck model with a carved top.

View attachment 306184

Mine was pretty much brand new. Someone either bought it or received it as a gift and never played it; it even still had the protective plastic on the cavity cover.

View attachment 306185
  3. fourstringbliss

How does it sound?
  4. Immigrant

Immigrant

I can't think of anything it really sounds like, other than maybe a P. the pup is actually a P in a larger case (I think).

I'm spoiled by my other bass that has a 4 band Audere preamp, so the Aria stays in the (factory) case that it came in.

The price on the eBay posting is pretty fair. Someone's getting a great bass for the money.
  5. bobba66

bobba66

Disclosures:
    I'm just glad I have a job.
    I bought one new back in the early 80s. Really sweet little bass.
  6. fourstringbliss

I might have to get one at some point. I really like the way it looks and the medium scale sounds good to me.
  7. Immigrant

Immigrant

FWIW...

When I did the first cleaning-new strings-setup on mine, I decided the pickup screws must be contacting threaded inserts in the body. Every bass I've owned had conventional pickup screws, like wood screws, pointy. The Aria pickup screws were definitely machine screws (no point) threaded into inserts. I never took one all the way out to see, but I really didn't need to.

Attention to detail. Nice.
  8. fourstringbliss

One of these might have to be my next bass. I've only owned one vintage instrument and even though I really didn't like the bass that much I liked playing a piece of history. This looks like something I could enjoy playing. How wide is the neck and the nut? Are they heavy?
  9. fourstringbliss

Here are a few more on Ebay right now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

I had one of those a while back and converted to fretless - came out really well as it was my second conversion! I also blocked the route and put a Schaller roller bridge on because the stock spacing felt a little too tight. That was a real neat little bass and I agree it had a unique tone.
  11. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Fab basses,had since new and has the best neck I,ve ever played,still straight as a die.
    Has it,s own aggressive sound.
    build quality would put a lot of new basses to shame.
  12. fourstringbliss

Excellent! What's the scale on these?
  13. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Medium scale pocket rocket.
    Quick change chunky bridge
    They did make a carved top set neck which had a higher number,can,t remember the number.Might have been 450.
  14. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Had a red satin Cardinal guitar and a blue (later white) Cardinal bass I played many years long ago. Was never overly dis-pleased with it, used it mainly as a back-up.

Now for some funny pics from glory daze....

also check out the two rigs I used to own ( first on the big stage was Marshall 100w Super lead MkII head, SVT frig cab and a Sunn 2-15. Other, same SVT frig but went to rack stuff, QSC 200w power amp, Groove Tube Pre-amp and a Traynor in-line delay, it was loud but not much tonal quality)

Attached Files:

15. MeLikeDaLowNote

MeLikeDaLowNote

The acid washed jeans tucked into the hightops are priceless. I don't know why they ever went out of style.
  16. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

I found this AWESOME 1982 CSB Black & Gold on CraigsList for $195

[​IMG]

Sound is Kinda Boomy compared to the Classic Aria SB-1000 active tone.

This is a Carved Top Model but so was the CSB-450. These are 32" scale basses, and other than being Neck-Divers unless you Hang 'em Low are AWESOME Basses! This one weighs in right at 7 Lbs!
  17. RonChase

RonChase

That is a nice looking bass, I once owned its guitar counterpart a cardinal series guitar it felt really good, I'm sure that bass is every bit as good, nice score
  18. Immigrant

Immigrant

Speaking of medium scale Aria Pro IIs, there's some sweet TSB series models on Evilbay (none are mine); one is overpriced IMO.

The TSB had bolt on and neck thru versions, and these are bolt ons. Totally cool basses!