1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aria TAB-66 Hollowbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    One of the band's opening up for my band on Monday had one of these... and it was pretty rad in person! He ran it through a sansamp for a ton of treble grind, beat the hell out of it with a pick, and that thing was just snarling... really cool. Anyone here got one? I'm curious about the playability and general quality of construction. It looks like this, only the one I saw was all black.

[​IMG]
  2. recnsci

recnsci

To bump this up again.

Does anybody own or has some first hand experience with Aria TAB-66?

I have tryed on in a store yesterday, mainly 'cus it was on display, not expecting much. As far as first impression goes after 10 minutes of fiddlin with it:
    Sound is very nice, at least for my particular (and somewhat uncommon) taste. My bass taste is Joy Division meets Violent Femmes on The Who gig (I'm strictly on plectrum side of the fence). This Aria has nice open, punchy (love those dancin' 'bout architecture adjectives) mids, and as whole bass has this great ringy, resonant, complex sound (unlike rigid precision of my Jazz). It has quite enough fundamental right down to open E. Neck seem jazzish in profile, very playable.

Finish and workmanship seem nice, in league of Japanese Fenders.

What bugged me (and what I have questions about):
    tuners seemed fiddly and flimsy (compared to experience with my Hghwy One Jazz). Did anybody had problems with these? Also, here and there, while playing I had this vague feeling of "cheep bass", regarding the fact that some fret positions felt a bit off in pitch and tone, 'thou this my come from the fact that bass was sitting in store for 2-3 years with same strings without proper setup. Does anyone have some practical experience regarding setup, "setability" and related technical issues?

Finaly, bridge pickup sounded a bit weak and waaay un-even response string to string, neck pickup sounded great (clear and punchy, even thou its 'bucker in muddy-right-after-neck position) however, string to string balance was not so good (E was moving tables and chairs, D just papercups). Since judgement can be biased 'cus strings are old (and probably crappy in the first place), I guess imput from regular user of TAB would be wellcome. BTW, both pickups on sounded very good (for somebody who wholehartedly hates both-on position on Jazz), and with much better string to string ballance, which seems wierd??

Ok, you can at least shed some lite on one important issue that can't be experienced by testing in shop - how does this Aria sound in band context, on stage? How does it compete with guitars and drums (my band is sort of postpunk garage thing, so often my bass lines has to compete with fierce drums and guitar)? And finaly, since your main axe is my The Holly Tone Grail, how did Aria sounded compared to your Ric (if both of you played on same amp/PA)?

cheerz & and thnx in advance for answers
    urosh
  3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    the aria i heard was in a band with exactly the vibe you're interested in, they're called Repeater and have a very strong '80s post-punk sound. think Joy Division, the Chameleons UK, the Bolshoi... great guys, great band, and a great live sound.

http://www.myspace.com/repeaterband

as for the bass tone live, yes we played through the same rig... my ashdown ABM 500 evo II thru an Orange 115. However, we both used different preamps... I've got a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal running at more of a traditional SVT type of tone: overdriven, but not crazy, lots of mids, slightly cut highs. He was using the older Sansamp BDDI and really pushing the drive and treble to extremes... for his band it was a perfect sound, cutting and edgy, bright and grindy, but still full. It would have been too extreme a tone for my band, but I really liked his for how it worked in the mix for his band, seeing as their songs are totally driven by the bass.

As far as playability, I asked him about his, and he seemed to really like it. I get the sense that these basses could be hit or miss with construction... I'd order one from a reputable dealer with a good return policy, and plan to take it to a tech to have it sized up, and given a good setup. If there's any major issues exchange it til you find a good one.

Overall I think this bass would nail the sound you're looking for.
  4. Kentucky Ryan

Kentucky Ryan

any more info on these?
  5. Kentucky Ryan

Kentucky Ryan

so i cant find a dealer in the united states that has these in stock. can anyone help me?
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

7. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

gc has those and the tab 60 pretty cheap used sometimes
  8. Bobster

Bobster

Looks like GC has a used black one for $349.99.

It's item 108145072 and is located in Raleigh.

Bob