Arm gets tired

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Johnny Tsunami, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami

Hello all. When I play a new song I have my computer open to songsterr (sorry) and have the song tab flowing while I'm playing it. If its a faster paced song, and I have to play a lot of notes I notice that my plucking hand just gets tired about 3/4 of the way through. Sometimes I can't even continue to finish. My question, do I just need more practice and then it'll eventually stop or is it something with my technique? Any help is appreciated

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Could be a little but of both. If you practice more you might develop more stamina. If you still get tired, you might want to adjust your technique until you find something that feels comfortable.

3. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

4. hsech

hsech I may be old, but that doesn't mean I can't play Gold Supporting Member

Try changing they way you hold your bass. Are you sitting down when you play along with your computer? If so does the chair have arms? If so, you might be holding your bass in an awkward position which causes fatigue and discomfort. If you are sitting down, try a chair with no arms.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

If you start sprinting before you can jog, you're going to be tired a lot quicker.

Your hand isn't used to the kind of exertion required of playing quickly. Do some speed building practices.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Don't be sorry Songsterr is a great help I love it for working out parts of songs I'm stuck with and it just takes time what I like to do is alternate with different styles of music I start off playing the Beatles then move to some Red Hot Chili Peppers and then back to some slower stuff like Patsy Cline.

8. fearceol

fearceol

Playing with a light touch and not "digging in," can go a long way towards helping with tiredness. Try to keep the hand relaxed, not tensed up.

9. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

+1 This used to happen to me all the time when I first picked up the bass. Took me a while to learn that amplified instruments need proper amplification. Turn Bass up, song down a little so that your not plucking so hard.

10. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami

I'm actually sitting on my bed (I use a laptop) and the angle is a little weird so I think that might be the problem because when I play standing up i don't get tired while playing a fast paced song.

11. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami

Sorry for the double post

I also play mostly downstrokes. I try to play upstrokes but it just doesn't feel right to me. Possibly is that a problem?

12. remainthesame

remainthesame

+1 i cant tell you how many computer chairs ive ruined taking the arms off. it really helps. just make sure the chair doesnt belong to the wife.

13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

This sounds a bit awkward. You could end up with a neck or back ache after a while too. I would try to face "straight" on toward toward your Laptop either in an armless chair or better yet standing. I like standing because it keeps me ready for gigs.:)

14. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

The Restore (Habitat for Humanity) Near me has used Steelcase chairs for like $10. These are $1000 + up new. They are heavy but fantastic chairs that will last a lifetime. I snagged a Blue one and pulled the arms of for Playstation use. Bloody Fantastic.

15. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Yes do up strokes, cut your movement count in half.

Do a search here for the Carol Kaye method, thread by JimmyM. very informative and helpful

16. Itzayana

Itzayana

When you get tired stop and rest. Drink a protein drink. You are building muscle and stamina. Like anything else that is physical, it takes time and work to build up. Buy a grip exerciser and use it a couple of times a day.
    I have been playing daily for 40+ years. People tease me that I have "Popeye" arms.
    I can play all day. My brain gets tired long before my arms do.

17. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

Try experimenting with a thicker pick. When your pick is too thin, too much of your hand's energy is used flexing the pick instead of sounding the string.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes.

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

All down strokes is not a problem. It worked for Dee Dee Ramone and many others. From the details you provided, you're problem sounds like you're not comfortable sitting down and playing. Stand up, down stroke the hell out of it, and you'll build up your stamina. Like someone else suggested, use a thicker pick that's 1.00mm or more.

20. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami

Yes I prefer standing too but the problem is then I won't be able to see the tabs lol. But thanks for the help everybody lots of great advice. This really is the best site on the interweb for music

21. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

well duh ! your position doesn't help you at all