1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ARMS Concerts: How did I miss this?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HeavyRockBasser, Dec 3, 2013.

1. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Has anyone checked out the ARMS concerts on youtube? 1983 was a rough year for me, personally, but I can't imagine how I missed this altogether...

I mean, Clapton, Beck, and Page sharing a stage? I'd heard rumors (probably just urban legend) that these guys had played a single show, together, at some point, during the Yardbirds era. That's why I did a search on it. But, what I found was truly stunning... Various members of Led Zeppelin, Cream, Blind Faith, the Jeff Beck Group, the Who, and the Rolling Stones, along with Paul Rogers, Jan Hammer, and Joe Cocker (who added some amazing blues vocals, in addition to his normal amazing stuff, btw) and others lending their talent.

Normally, at least in my experience, most all-star shows suck, because everyone tries to do too little, or too much, and they are usually poorly recorded, for some reason. But, although some of the video is grainy, the audio is mostly top-notch, and these guys were truly on their game, when this came together.

Apparently, this was an entire series of concerts (and multiple versions of songs) performed in late 1983, to benefit MS, which started in the UK, but had enough steam to carry over to the US. ARMS stands for Action into Research for Muscular Sclerosis.

If you are into classic rock, you absolutely have to check this out, if you haven't done so, already. If you are new school, and think classic rock sucks, you still owe it to yourself to at least check out Layla with Clapton/Beck/Page, and Jimmy Page's (several - and I might add instrumental - renditions of) Stairway to Heaven, some with Beck and Clapton adding support.

I'm currently sitting here, stunned, having just discovered this, for myself, tonight, for the first time... and kicking myself for not having discovered it, a very long time ago.

Too many videos to include links, here, but I've read that JPJ was present for some of these shows. And, I know Jack Bruce added vocals to at least one show (the best I've found so far). so, I'd appreciate any recommendations on these guys, if you can help me out.

If you haven't already, check these out for yourself! hrb