1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Arnopol 8 Cabinet - A Winner!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Eric Hochberg, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Mike gave me his new 9 lb!!! cab to check out and I used it and an EA Doubler with my piano and sax trio last night. Put it up on my CXL12 which made it close to ear level, as I sit on a stool.

I spent the first set tweaking volume and tone between tunes, and by mid 2nd set, I had found the sound. This little thing puts out a centered and natural sound (also punchy with some meat on it) and gets plenty loud for small group jazz. It can get deep and crispy high, too, which I dialed back. I think it might work with a drummer as long as the volume stays below a roar, but I'd prefer to go larger in that situation. I didn't try it on the floor but I think that having it up helps with audibility and would make it easier to note if it is being pushed too hard, although I didn't get to that point with it.

This cab with a micro head in a backpack, and you're at less than 15 lbs. I easily walked the 2 blocks from the garage to the venue. I like! :)
  2. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Thanks, Eric
    It's always a tradeoff whether to put it on the ground or elevated. The advantage on the ground is that it actually goes louder due to the fact that you don't have to eq the bass up as much, get better coupling and reinforcement from the floor, and hence use less power. This thing is so articulate and has great dispersion up higher than most speakers--you can still hear it well. One kindof cool thing---when you combine 2 of these (albeit a bit pricey) it goes as loud as virtually any 2x10 on the market and with a MUCH more hifi sound. I love having one on the ground and the second elevated a bit more (maybe 2 feet) , then you kindof have the best of both worlds. It will be available with tweeter or without. It's designed so that the tweeter level would be variable so that one could either use one cab, or go with a tweeter on one and tweeterless on the other.
  3. jeffpau

jeffpau

9 lbs ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to try it :D

Mike, do you plan to build and sell some ?? (even empty enclosures)

Greetings from France !
  4. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Yes I do. I'm already taking orders. I could sell an empty cab, I guess. First run will be done in about 2 weeks.
  5. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Mike,
    Is this the Crazy 8 fEARful?
  6. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Hi
    It seemed that Greenboy and I were working on essentially the same design with the exception that he added a tweeter. We changed a few dimensions and decided to collaborate, so yes. It is available with tweeter and without.
  7. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. Staying tuned to check this out!
  8. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

hey just picked up this link . Ive been looking for a small 8 to use with my micro head for coffee house type gigs ,how does it handle a low b ? whats its power rating ? w/ speaker ,and what does it cost (w tweeter)?
  9. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The best comparison as far as power handling is to compare it with the best single 10" cabs out there. I designed it to replace my Wizzy 10. It goes as loud but is much more hifi. As far as the low B, at the volumes you would use it for (I've played it in jazz trios with drums at medium volumes) it's great. I played it in a context like that where there was an EA CXL12 there. (a jazz 5 nighter where the CXL was left there). At the volume we were playing at (again, jazz trio) the low end sounded fuller and just as punchy as the CXL. The CXL is a great sounding speaker, but the 8" sounded a lot better. Of course, it won't go nearly as loud as the CXL, but within it's dynamic capabilities I think it sounded better. This was without the tweet. It goes past 4k hz no sweat by itself. On electric or upright it goes high enough for me----but--- with the tweeter (crossover by Greenboy) it really sounds like a great home hifi or top pa speaker.I was kindof shocked. You really don't hear the tweeter until you turn it off. Which is what I want. No artificial sizzle or hiss-fest. When you turn it off you miss that slight "air". A jazz violinist just bought one. And a top Brazilian guitarist/singer wants one to use as his mini pa. Now I'm building them, so obviously it costs me a lot less, but I'm really getting into the concept of this as a modular setup.
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Mike,
    What's the difference in weight of the composite cab if you add the tweeter and crossover?

Ric
  11. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    about 2 lbs. If you play electric or upright with the cab on the floor---I doubt you'll notice it. On a chair, maybe. One of our TB'ers who plays acoustic bass guitar ordered one (it'll be done next week---I had to wait for xover parts that weren't in stock) and I think that for acoustic bass guitar I'd use a tweet. It has the same high end content of an acoustic guitar. For me I'd rather save the 2 lbs.---but I play with a darker sound on upright.
  12. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

very interested in hearing more. wish there were a way to A/B it with a cab I'm familiar with, say a Low B1.
  13. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Just checking the Low B1. I like Acme stuff. This weighs less than 1/3 the weight and is a lot smaller. I know almost all of the 10" drivers out there and this 8" moves as much if not more air than any 10 that I've tried. I've ab'd it with the Wizzy 10 and it kept up with it no problem. Because the Faital driver goes near flat to over 4khz a 2 way approach was possible. And I use it sans tweeter because I really don't need anything over 5khz. I think that the power handling is about the same but mine is a bit more efficient (93 to 94 db)
    To be honest, I set out to build a 10" box to replace my Wizzy. But I couldn't find a woofer that I liked in a 10.Then Duke of Audiokinesis told me about the Faital and how cool it was.
    Because of the box size and tuning of the Acme I'm sure it goes a bit lower without eq. The low end of the 8" is very full and handles a low B just fine within its limitations. (all speakers have limitations)
    I'm waiting for a new HPF box made by one of our TB mad scientists Fdeck. It has a steeper curve than his original and I'd highly reccomend it with ANY speaker, but especially with the 8"--- you'd get a lot more usable volume and tighter bass.
  14. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

15. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Early pics. Inside of ports are painted now with shorter mounting screws for feet. (visable through port) and there are black metal corners. There are slicker looking mounts for the grill, too. And now both mounting screws for the handle are black. Details, details.

Attached Files:

16. longfinger

longfinger

Very snazzy. What material is the casing made of?
    In another post, you mentioned that you're also making a 12" that's 15lbs. Do you have any pics+details of that?
  17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thanks Mike, but it was just a matter of time before you found it yourself. Great to see the well-deserved excitement your Arnopol 8 generating!
  18. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

hi Mike,
    do you think it's possible to buy this cab here in Italy?
  19. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I just sold one cab to France and one to Taiwan so I'm sure that Italia is no problem.
  20. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing Supplier OEM's
    Cool. More info please. Specs price etc......