Arnopol composite - greenboy cabs have gone low cal - have your cake and eat it too!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Jan 18, 2013.

1. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So here are a few pics of some new cabs coming out of the composite shop in Chicago.

Here is a Dually, should have come in around 39 pounds sans the casters.
    [​IMG]

This fEARless 112 is 27 pounds, and is reportedly the most difficult cab Mike has even built.
    [​IMG]

Now for the real show stopper. This is a fEARless 215. Weighs in at 50 pounds and I believe it will be headed out to rpsands. This think is a third the weight of an 810 and will take its lunch money and spend it on a low cal diet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would be great if Mike could confirm the weights on these and answer some questions.

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing:D'Addario,Genz Benz,Truth Drums,Evans,SKB,Nordstrand pu's
    The small wheels on the side of the cab are brilliant.

3. rpsands

rpsands

I'll take credit for the side mounted casters. I've got them on my 1515/66 and it makes it so easy to move it's ridiculous. Now my '66 is going to lose 40lbs. :)

* though Mike did find the specifc wheels. I used much bigger ones on my cab.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

How do I get that cab? Seriously. How do I get one? Link please.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

NICE! I've been POUNDING my Arnopol-built Audiokinesis TC115 for the last 6 months or so. Top notch, super lightweight, VERY well made.

That fEARfless 112 looks killer.

These all look awesome! Edit: Check on Mike's new Puma900.... mmmmmmm!

7. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    UNF

Is Mike accepting first born sons as payment?

8. KJung

KJung

Congrats! You are going to like the build. The only issue with these I've found (compared to heavier wood) is that (as we discussed) the vibration that comes through the cab and through the composite material seems much lower in frequency than similar slight vibrations through the wood. This can result in any loose or tightly placed components in some heads to vibrate a bit (at least with some of the micro's I use). I've had the issue with about 50% of the heads I've tried with the cab, and a little foam padding totally takes care of the issue. The only other difference is weight!

9. rpsands

rpsands

Only if they can work on cabs I think ;)

10. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    he's only four, but I'm sure he can be taught to sweep floors ;)

11. KJung

KJung

Here is another cab showing Mike's great work... the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 115. About 34 pounds, and kicks like a mule!

[​IMG]

12. jlepre

jlepre

They look very shallow (front to Back) no?

13. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    A 39 pound Dually?!! That defies physics! Nothing that big should be that light. I'm impressed, nice job.

14. rpsands

rpsands

I believe you can PM Mike here or email him (mike m.arnopol@gmail.com) to get an order going. I was talking to him last week and he said he was thankful he didn't have a website, since he's pretty much slammed nonstop as is.

15. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

50 pounds for a cab that'll outperform and 810 and ask for more? dang, I think I'm going to start saving

16. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    yeah---if I can raise them as an assistant!

17. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'll tell you guys---first

the f215 IMHO is a much better sounding cab than the Fearful 15/15. More low end control, better integrated midrange. And the Faital tweet---beautiful

The big shocker is the f112
    To me---it's the best Greenboy cab out there. A tighter, more focused low end--but it's the Faital midrange and tweeter that really set it apart. And the tiltback is nice. I shouldn't go on about it since it's a NIGHTMARE to make. And it's one of the few bass cabs that I would equally recommend as a PA speaker.
    Keeps up with most 15's.

18. NWB

NWB

So Ken, how does that cab pair up with the TH500 and a jazz bass?

19. KJung

KJung

It sounds fine, but to be honest, I don't really dig it. The Thunderchild is SO pure, and the TH500 is more about grind and grunt. So, sometimes the yin yang works. With my 70's style J with stainless steel roundwounds, the top just sounds strange to me, and gets a bit eaten up in the mix... kind of clanky/ganky to my ear. The combination of that very even, pure, zero distortion top end of the Thunderfunk with the upper mid grind of the TH500 just doesn't work with my more 'Marcus' sounding ash/maple 70's J with SS rounds. I'd say for a 60's style J with nickels it probably would kill!

With the P... NICE! Both the bottom end and the more organic top end of the P work with that combination really well. It is a HAMMER with the 4ohm impedance, the slightly tighter low end than the stock 3015LF, and a nice 500 watt micro driving it!

Edit: At the moment, that particular cab (the TC115) is no longer available, due to Eminence putting large order lot requirements on Duke's custom 3015LF 4ohm. He replaced it with a T212 that has even more wump. Mike is making those also. Nice form factor... linear, so very thin and tall.

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

For those with a slightly lower budget and/or wanting a more old school tone at a ridiculously low weight, the composite Bassic cabs Mike builds are also great. My composite Bassic 15 weighs about 22 lbs and sounds nice and round. The 12 I have coming will be significantly lighter.

21. NWB

NWB

The 60's jazz growl/grind is my bag and I have a TH500 for that. Just thinking of a light/loud cab to bring it all together.

Thanks much Ken.