1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ARRGH Problemo with new rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bobdudeman, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

This has been talked about many times, but this is a different twist on it. AMP HISS! I just purchased an older Bag End d12-d cab and then bought an old Peavey Mark iii xp head to power it. I set it up last night and it was awesome. Absolutely perfect, no hiss, excellent sound ect. Well this afternoon I decided to use a little electronics cleaner on the jacke to just clean it a little as well as the eq slides, now it has thad goddamn hiss when you plug the bass and chord in! Am I missing something here? It didnt do it yesterday and this morning, now it does. Its driving me nuts trying to figure out why. Yes it stops when I palm thr bridge. Thanks for the help
  2. dincz

dincz

If it stops when you "palm the bridge", my guess would be it's hum rather than hiss. Does it sound like "mmmm" or "ssss"? Very different sounds with very different causes.
  3. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

more like hiss as in high gain hiss
  4. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

Static style ssss. probably the usual bad ground nonsense, but it wasnt there yesterday...??? having a hard time troubleshooting it.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Palming the bridge makes me think you have a loose ground wire in your bass. Also, do you have single coil pickups in your bass? That could also be a culprit.
  6. dincz

dincz

Grounding problems don't cause hiss. Still not sure what the sound you're describing is.
  7. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

Well im confused. no sound this morning. I thing I must be on a bad electrical path or picking up something in the neighborhood.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Could be. Could also be something in your house running and causing interference. Check your bass and see if it's shielded well.
  9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Florescent lighting can do that. Play in the dark, you'll learn to stop looking.......