Art Studio V3.... feedback needed!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MaGrass, Feb 11, 2014.

1. MaGrass

MaGrass

Hey guys!

I have found (and bought) this unit on the 2nd hand market online...
    I paid 40 pounds for a fairly new unit that hasn't been used Almost at all as the former owner claims.

My purpose is to use it just as a DI for the live gigs. I have read many reviews about the unit, many of those talking bad about it (especially for recording as it's a cheap preamp) but as I'm not that interested in employing it the recordings sector, I was wondering whether if any bassist out there already uses it to route the bass guitar straight into the PA. How would you rate this V3?
    So far looks like it offers just a little more compared to conventional DI boxes (it has got presets) altough I'm a fan of simple stuff and I reckon I would use with neutral settings....

Feed me with your opinions!
    Cheers

2. 3506string

3506string

I have no direct experience with this unit but I've used a couple of art tube pres as preamps. Currently I am using a Art studio channel as my preamp. They are nice clean preamps. If you push the input you can get a pretty pleasant tube warmth. Probably some of the nicer starved plate designs. Fairly quiet, clean units great if you are looking something to honestly translate your bass tone to whatever you are sending it to.

3. MaGrass

MaGrass

Thanks buddy.... the V3 has arrived yesterday. I had chance to try it around at home with the bass, through the amp or through the soundcard...nice little thing.
    I am keen to bring it now to rehearsals to figure out a couple of settings when routed to the PA. I have a good feeling about it, seems like healthy outputs will not be an issue no more...I also have a gig tonight and I am totally DIing for it....pointless to say that this is a gear-test day! ;)

4. zombiecatz

zombiecatz

I Don't have a V3 but I do have a ART Dual tube Pre...I bought it for cheap at my local Guitar center.... I must say that I am very pleased As I have used it to record my bass. I guess its Similar to the ART studio or the V3. Its nice and clean tone for bass but I have yet to use it for vocals. Today I just plugged in my bass and used the pad switch and turned it up past 12' o clock and I got a nice Overdrive sound, I really dig it. Maybe it was not meant for that but it sounds cool to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MaGrass

MaGrass

I have found the V3 an excellent gigging tool and an useful recording item. There are some background noises when recording if cranked up but If I had to record a bassline, I won't use it with extreme settings. It does warm the sound up anyway (some say that to Let the valve work you have to push it) and when plugged into the PA I love the fact that you can control your output volume from the V3 (so that if the sound Engineer is being greedy with volume, you can cheat a little on him). Probably one of the best buys of the year, it costed me £40 second hand.