ART Tube MP--the poor man's REDDI

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Jun 25, 2013.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I'm starting a thread. I didn't see one dedicated to this product.
    Boring story: I bought one out of necessity--circumventing a proper bass head by using a combination of preamps to go from bass to a power amp to cab--and ended up keeping it even after ditching the large heavy rig. I use it in front of my combos or use it as a DI.
    It's simple & sounds good (a noticeable improvement however subtle, adds a little heat to a weak signal, & has a built in limiter, has a 12AX7a tube, and can be used for instruments & vocals. And it's only $30!
    I prefer it over Radial or Whirlwind di's because of the controllable input & output, it also has phase reversal & limiter in case you need them.
    It won't replace a vintage B15 but then what does, but it will give you a boost of warmth & clarity, & to be safe it will keep your hat on (limiter).
    Bottom line: DI box on steroids w gravy on top.
    I just realized this sounds like marketing but I have no interest in this company.
    info & manual for spec-heads:
    http://artproaudio.com/art_products...hannel_tube_preamps/product/tube_mp-original/
    http://artproaudio.com/files/owners_manuals/om_tubemp.pdf

Any other fans? Any oppose? I'm curious if any Reddi owners own one of these MP's & can do a comparison. I think I already know the answer but like the title suggests, this is an inexpensive, effective alternative.
    PEACE

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Yeah, they are great. Even better is the V3 Studio for a few bucks more. More tonal variety... and warmer.

3. Balog

Balog

It works well enough, but I preferred the Presonus... Ummm, whatever their low end tube mic pre is. More expensive though.

4. chuck norriss

Is that the one w the dial for tone options? Cool

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

I'll look for it but I'm not adding gear now.

7. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    I have one of these. I use it as a DI. Sounds great. Love it.

8. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I got one late in my musical life but was immediately impressed with the tone! I was using it in front of a rather drab sounding Yorkville 15" 100W combo. Yorkville makes great equipment but sometimes I'm not a fan of the tone of their bass amps. This one was a loaner at a friends house. That Tube MP made that little combo sound so much more refined like a high end product. At the time I was a pure Eden convert rockin my WT400 and D410XLT on gigs. I really was amazed at the difference the Tube MP made in that combo. Incidentally, Yorkville also makes the ART Tube MP! I couldn't help ask myself at the time, "If they can sell these for $30 and make a profit, why didn't they include them in all their combos to refine the front end??"

I now recommend these to any beginner who wants to get a better amp on a budget. I just tell them to try it between their current amp and their bass. I've never had anyone come back to me and say they weren't happy with their new Tube MP!

I still keep one in my cable box on gigs as a spare D.I. or a backup should my bass amp die on a gig.

Good on ya Chuck starting a thread on this piece of equipment. I think it's an unspoken jewel in the bass world. Others really should know about it.

9. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I haven't tried throwing my MP in a circuit in a long time. Maybe I should!

10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Looks interesting, I like the compact size.

Where did you find that model for $30? I'm only seeing the "original" model for $48. The "Studio" (discontinued?)version is everywhere for $30 tho, is that the one you're using?

11. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Tried it, was ok, much prefer my TW4001, but hey, for $30, its a nice little gizmo to keep around. Worked well on vocals for our last demo too. Singer can get pretty loud, and it really smoothed out some of his peaks.

12. chuck norriss

Online it's $29 & change. Maybe musicians friend I don't recall but it's available.

13. chuck norriss

Yes. Not everyone can afford reddi

14. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Does anyone know what the differences are because there are 3 different Tube MPs? There is one with a meter and one without and then there is one that is the TubeMP with the controls on the front(?) not the top(?) and this is without even getting into the V3.

15. nojj

nojj Guest

I have a couple of those. Handy to have around to sweeten stuff.
    Never tried fronting a power amp with it.
    The older models can add a tiny bit of noise, not noticeable unless you're isolating tracks.
    I was always running through 9VAC transformers for 'em.

Another handy function is the phantom.
    Used to use it to power my room recording mics.

16. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    This thing is ok, but it's no REDDI. It's not even close really. It was the first Pre I ever go years ago when it came out.

A good DI or pre should slot everything in the mix better for you. It should make EQing a lot easier to do. I never got bass or vocals to sit any better than just going direct or going into a pre.

It is a great piece of gear for demos and for controlling peaks if you dont have a compressor or much gear, but a REDDI is on another level.

17. nojj

nojj Guest

For the current models, the front-loaded ones are the MP/C and the project series.
    The one with the meter is from the discontinued studio series.

18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The REDDI is a real tube DI, whereas the ART MP is a starved plate design with a wallwart, so the 12AX7a bottle does nothing more than just add a little dirt/noise to the audio signal. The ART MP and REDDI are completely in two different ballparks (not even close).

EDIT: FWIW - and IMHO, both the Radial and Whirlwind are better DI’s than the ART MP!!!

19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

The TubeMP has its place. But even a stack of 'em ain't no REDDI!

Attached Files:

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I have an MP and man, what a handy little unit it is. Pretty simple little thing but you'll find all kinds of uses for it you maybe didn't think of at first. MP + post-eq amp DI can get you a pretty nice sound out front if you're short a mic stand or something. Also ran acoustic through it to smooth it out and tame it down, gets more travel in the mixer knobs that way. Also used it to split a vocal into two mixers, one being recorded, one for live sound.

Mine is the simple one with 3 buttons, a +20db gain, phantom power, and I think polarity reversal or something.

As far as the REDDI, I've never got to use one, but I have to think you're getting something more there for like 20x or more the price. :)

Somewhere around here, JimmyM posted recordings of his REDDI and his mic'd B15. He got them so close that in all the commotion of a live gig, they probably sound the same out front.

21. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Can o' worms: open.
    Popcorn: popped and buttered.