1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Artists and bands you would love buuuuuuuuut...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kwesi, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

There's just something about them that bugs you? Lay out your reasoning as best you can!

Dream Theater - James LaBrie. Nuff said. I actually really dig a lot of their stuff but my aversion to his voice has only gotten worse over time.

Marcus Miller - If he would stop slapping on 98% of his tracks and not make his music so bass centric it would really be fantastic.

John Mayer - I actually do love John Mayer, I just wish he'd do more stuff with the John Mayer Trio instead of the poppish stuff he's known for.

Rage Against the Machine - Pretty much all of their music is fantastic but I just can't get down with Zack de la Rocha's voice/vocals.

Ska bands in general that aren't Reel Big Fish - They just need to be Reel Big Fish.
  2. oniman7

oniman7

90-95% of Melodeath/ Post Hard Core/ black metal. Absolutely flooring melodies and emotional music, but I can't stand most of the vocals.

I like La Dispute, Opeth and Katatonia (but I can't get into the death metal albums), Avenged Sevenfold (after their first album) etc.
  3. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Sooooooo with you on this dude. I've kind of learned to deal with it so I still have a bunch of stuff in my music library.
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I have a love/hate relationship with DT, mostly for this reason. I've sort of learned to tune out his voice, or just sing along louder than him. Also cheesy lyrics bug me too. I've seen them three times tho, and each was a killer show.

Most of the bands I would put on this list are there because of the singers. I can't stand the sound of an obviously untrained voice. I might actually like Slipknot if Corey Taylor didn't mumble like a tone-deaf American Idol contestant. I can't handle any King's X with Ty Tabor singing, sounds like a bad karaoke John Lennon wannabe. Neal Morse is like that too, though not as bad. I'm also really trying to love Type O Negative, but Peter Steele's voice bugs me sometimes as well. Not so much on their last album though.
  5. obsidianbass

obsidianbass

Blasphemy! ;)
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The problem I have with some bands is that I love the music but don't like the singing.

Metallica, Guns 'N' Roses, Pearl Jam are a few examples.
  7. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

John Mayer. Love his playing, can't say anything bad there, but something about his singing just irritates me.
  8. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

this is why devo did the elevator music 8 track, in case people weren't totally in love with their vocals:p
  9. Richland123

Richland123

Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten - I have tried but just way too much over the top slapping and such for my taste.

John Mayer - It's his mumbling vocals.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The musicians are good but the vocals are awful and many of the songs just sound to me like they have no melody or direction.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Justin Bieber - if he'd just stop.
  11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

I'm surprised to see bass players that focus so hard on singers when they listen to music! :eek: I guess I adjust to a singer's voice if I like the music.

As for Dream Theater, I love James LaBrie's voice (I also like Geddy Lee's and John Arch's) - it's the slow, sappy songs every other track that bug me. They should write an album that's just heavy from front to back with no sappy songs.

Same goes for Opeth, Novembers Doom, and, to a much lesser degree, Swallow The Sun. When I listen to death/doom I want to hear depressing, heavy stuff. No "uplifting" sounding sap every few tracks. And no songs about your kid (I'm looking at you ND).

Type O Negative were better when they were Carnivore. Slow Deep And Hard and Origin of The Feces are great, though.
  12. 4dog

4dog

Its the marbles he holds in his mouth,, he wont let em escape
  13. zachoff

zachoff

I can't stand Chris Cornell's voice so everything he's done bugs me and I'd really really probably like the first two Soundgarden albums if not for that. I also really don't like operatic vocals at all so that rules out a ton of metal that I'd probably like and a good amount of prog.
  14. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

You don't really... get Marcus Miller, do you?

Anyway, my entry is Muse. Matthew Bellamy needs to stop pretending he can sing.
  15. ZedZed

ZedZed

+1

Muse has some great tunes but often they bite off more than they can chew trying to write grand epic songs that they are not ready to write. And Bellamy, always the same sh!t shtick: sing long notes over some good song in his mostly krap voice.
  16. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

I'm with 4Dog, John Mayer is fine if you don't look at him while he sings, haha.
  17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I like Creed, but can't stand the singers voice. Sounds like he's got his own balls in his mouth.

Edit: Scott Stapp, that's him. Urgh.
  18. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

I agree about Marcus Miller. His feel and groove are impeccable, but it's the scooped tone I can't stand. Midrange, fellas. Boost it - it's good for you.
  19. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael

Agree about the black metal. I could really get behind some of the music but the growling vox are just annoying. If a kick ass death metal band had a real singer and some melodies, they'd be my favorite band.

Marcus is great at what he does -- it's just that,he essentially does one thing -- just in 3 different keys and 3 different tempos.
  20. Stormer

Stormer

Janes Addiction.......cant stand Perry Farrells voice and not overly fond of Dave Navarros playing either. I guess its just the rhythm section i like......the original rhythm section.