1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Artists that utilize all playing styles?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Weirdo, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Weirdo

Weirdo

Just wondering how many are out there, as it came to mind, that a Punk band, yes, a punk band, from Australia i've seen a few times, Slaps, Picks and uses fingers.. all really well too.

I personally prefer pick playing, but it's interesting to see all three used throughout a set...

What other artists are out there who do so?

Jackson

2. UK Philip

UK Philip

is it really punk, though?

punk is what pop-rock bands call themselves as they dye their hair.

3. Weirdo

Weirdo

Yeah, Frenzal are a punk band, Singing about a sack of goon.

Edit: Just realised, all three in one song.

4. ShadowVampyre

ShadowVampyre Supporting Member

Emma Anzai from Sick Puppies uses slapping, fingerstyle and slap usually in each of their songs

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Knowing how to get all the sounds and styles out of your instrument is called being accomplished on it. And when you can do them all equally well and know when to use each of them that's called virtuoso.

Reminds me of the matched grip-traditional grip arguments with drummers. The answer of course is you should be able to play BOTH WAYS.

With drumbs as with bass each way of playing has it's own avantages and disadvantages. You pick the one the does the most for the music.

7. Weirdo

Weirdo

So far there's only been one mention.. Surely theres more artists who do so?

8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm instantly spring to mind.

9. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Do either of them ever play with a pick? I've seen both of them multiple times and never saw a pick come out.

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

Bobby Vega and Tony Levin.

CanadaNeal likes this.
  11. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

12. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce

Bill Gould, Faith No More

13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

14. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

15. Mute one

Mute one

D from A Beautiful Mourning

16. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Gotta revive this thread after having just arrived home after seeing the first two shows of the current Adrian Belew Power Trio tour. I've seen Julie play numerous times, and was already well aware that she uses a variety of techniques/styles. But the other night in Charlottesville (VA) I swear she used, at various times, every imaginable left-hand and right-hand technique known to man -- often several within the same tune -- and might have invented several new ones. Her signature picking technique alone is multifarious -- i.e., she uses different faces of the pick, with different angles of attack, etc. -- but over the course of the show she used standard (two-finger) fingerstyle, 3- or 4- finger fingerstyle, thumb slapping, thumb picking, fingernail-flicking (a la Les Claypool), two-handed tapping, and (it seemed) every combination thereof. Honest to God, I've never seen anything like it.

Thinking about piling up all my gear in the back yard and having a big bonfire....

CanadaNeal and billgoodwin like this.
  17. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Taiji from X Japan was primarily a pick player, but he could also play fingerstyle for slower songs as well as songs like Sadistic Desire, where he employed slapping (tastefully, too!) and thus couldn't really use a pick. He was also an excellent "showy" slapper and tapper, which you can hear on live solos and "Xclamation". In fact, rumors circulate that he taught X Japan's lead guitarist how to tap!

18. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

Uhh...Les Claypool? and add that he uses bowing technique as well as others mentioned on double bass.

Same with Sting

19. CanadaNeal

CanadaNeal Supporting Member

+1 on TLev. If you include arco (bowing), he'd probably be the only one I know of (besides myself..)

Sounds like John's serving up a fat 'bass-burger' with everything on it, to me..;

John Entwitsle Band - Shakin' All Over

I think he talks about utilizing all styles of playing, somewhere in this clip;

Thunderfingers Promo

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014