ASAT 6 Bolt Strap Extender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hifibass, Nov 24, 2012.

1. hifibass

hifibass Supporting Member

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Seems like a neat, easy to make and tweak solution. The hardest bit would be getting good matching screws. I suppose one could take the chance with a countersunk plate and the existing screws 1 - 3 mm far from home.

3. hifibass

hifibass Supporting Member

You'd need longer screws since the factory ones are already recessed into the body. Sounds like a trip to Topline.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Ah. Still a nice option, to have a perfectly balanced ASAT with a reversible mod! :D :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

I think using the right strap makes a world of difference. I have a semi-hollow ASAT Fretless which is probably more prone to neck dive than the solid body version. I use a Neotech strap. Also I use the lower strap button on the tail end of the bass (some ASAT basses have two strap buttons on the tail end). Neck dive is not an issue. The bass stays pretty well in place when I take my hands off. The Neotech strap really keeps it in place.....and is comfy to boot!

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Everyone is different. I think the neotech straps are the most awful things in the world. Nothing but neck dive! Bass slides around like its covered in grease. I'm a wide leather strap with suede back guy for sure.

I would have an ASAT if it wasnt for the neck dive because they look great and I love how easy the access to the upper frets is. But I cant tolerate neck dive AT ALL.

The above mentioned solution would probably work but it looks like a teenager with a retainer (not cool) or one of those double straps that look like youre going parachuting with your bass (also not cool).

8. grisezd

grisezd

It would be cool to make up a neck plate that incorporated a nice looking horn. All it would take is a guy with a CNC mill, or a lot of time with a file!

I have a 2.5in long strap button that a friend of mine turned from an aluminum rod. Just imagine a normal strap button with 2 1/4in extension under it. He bored the center to take a 1.5in screw, I used a larger diameter (stronger) screw with the edges of the head filed down to fit the bore. Works great on my Tele guitar-bodied short scale. One of the Thunderbird fans on here has a similar solution that's prettier (nice woods) and uses a very long screw.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I wouldn't bolt that thing onto my ASAT. It may do the job, but it's not very aesthetically pleasing.

10. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

+1,000,000

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I always wanted to have an ASAT style bass made, but with the body shape elongated.