1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ash body Jazz... which neck/fretboard pairs best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soaf, Dec 14, 2013.

1. soaf

soaf

I have purchased my first ash body and will be doing a custom jazz build with it. I have always played alder, and from what I've read, ash is (generally) snappier in the highs and lows but not quite as warm as alder. I am looking to achieve a nice jazz mid-growl from this instrument. Which combination of woods do you suggest for the neck/fretboard? I have heard mahogany provides for nice midrange, so I am considering mahogany/rosewood or maple/rosewood. Your thoughts are appreciated!

1387047540363.jpg
  2. Whil57

Whil57

cant tell you from the DIY build, but recently purchased an ESP LTD. It is my second ash body and is as you say snappier. It has the typical maple neck, rosewood board, so i would really like something a little flatter sounding myself to tame that bright from the body.
  3. soaf

soaf

are you using nickel strings?
  4. Whil57

Whil57

yes, for that. I am curious, i see Warmoth says the do a rosewood neck, but seems like a expensive gamble if you end up not liking it.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Check the TB Classifieds, eBay and maybe even Craigslist for people selling individual necks.
  6. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
  7. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    If you are going with ash J then keep it bright all around.

The ash IMHO does not affect your lows as compared to alder.
    It does have a bit more pop to it and can be a touch more polite in the mids which some called a slight scoop.

I love it.