1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ash Precision Bass with Rosewood fretboard??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Ive been blasting Pink Floyd a lot lately, and Roger's awesome tone has made me realize that I want a Pbass. Vintage-style would be preferred, but I can deal with the modern design if necessary.
    Personally I like ash on a Precision: it's much lighter than alder, and it gives the sound a soft, growly edge that an alder Pbass can't produce.
    The only problem is the only ash PrecisionsI can find on Fender's website have maple fretboards; I much prefer rosewood to maple for the following reasons:
    a) The more porous, open grain
    b) Aesthetically, it looks nicer IMO
    c) Maple boars give PBasses a subtle (but still noticeable) sort of "zingy'' attack which I don't like.

Without going custom shop (not enough $$); does Fender offer any ash/rosewood precision models (Mark Hoppus signature excluded)???

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

3. Btone

Btone

My take on this: Ash could be AS light as alder, but in general I would say ash is heavier, especially if you go 70's vintage. Northern ash - heavy. Swamp ash - lighter. If weight is an issue, I would think the other way 'round, alder in general lighter than ash. Could be wrong as always :rolleyes:.
  4. nickn

nickn Supporting Member

Find a used FSR P-bass. To my knowledge they don't make them anymore but there should be plenty floating around. They were MIM basses with ash body, clear finish, and rosewood fretboard.

I sold mine on here a few years ago.

[​IMG]
  5. wraub

wraub

Ash/RW is my preference for a P bass, which is why I have one. Just looks and feels right to me, and the overall sound and vibe is more my jam.

You might also look at the Nate Mendel sig bass, especially if you like a dark red color.
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. just be aware, that the Fender FSR P basses that are spoken about here are going to be using ceramic pups .. OP commented that he was NOT in favor of a 'zingy' attack ... the pups on the MIM Standards (which this FSR shares the components with) will be a bit more 'edgy' and hotter than the comparable alnico's ... not good or bad, just something to be aware of and fit your situation or preference ...

FWIW, with regards to weight, I have had a couple of these ash FSR's P's ... one was in the mid 8# range, one was nearly 10#'s ...
  7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Thats why Ill be getting a Fender Original Pbass pickup to go with it if I get one.