1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ash, Walnut and Maple Bird/RD/Delgada inspired build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pedrodelawasp, Apr 3, 2014.

1. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I have some American White Ash, American Black Walnut and a nice all-Maple neck on their way to me for my next build. I intend to refine the shape I used for my Padauk bass you can see here:

[​IMG]

I will angle the control plate on the new bass as it would be on a Jazz and make the waist a little more curved on the upper side.
    The bass will have an Ash back, possibly with some Red Cedar strips in between pieces, and a Walnut top. The bolt-on neck has a 2-a-side tuner configuration.

I've got a hankering to make some sawdust :D

2. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Sounds good, but those woods have the potential to make a heavy instrument. Since you're doing a drop-top, consider chambering the body.

4. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Sounds like a plan.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

American Black Walnut
    [​IMG]

American White Ash
    [​IMG]

Red Cedar
    [​IMG]

7. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Here's a sketch of what I'll be aiming for... though this will surely be subject to change... maybe...

[​IMG]

8. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I think I might pop a tune-o-Matic style bridge on this build. I loved having one on my old Ibanez bass, picking between the bridge and tailpiece with distortion on sounded great! I'm also considering a trapezoid tailpiece, though that would involve modifying the shape to have a portion of the lower edge of the body parallel to the bridge itself.

Thoughts?

9. ctmullins

I love the tune-o-matic, but because the range of adjustment is less than with a "normal" bridge, placement becomes more crucial. It's certainly doable, because even I have done it before, just double-check your measurements. Another option, albeit an expensive one, is the Hipshot D style bridge.

10. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Here's the Ash and Cedar for the back before glue
    [​IMG]

And alongside the walnut for the top and the neck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a shot with an extra piece of walnut with some teak oil to show how I hope it'll darken when finishing. The top edge has a little Red Mahogany stain just to see how that'd look.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

12. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I've just ordered a Tune-O-Matic style bridge and tailpiece, a set of dual MM style pups (neck and bridge), a Jazz control plate and some 500k pots plus .068uf Cap
    :hyper:

Question: Would you recommend that I attempt to angle the neck to suit the bridge or not? I am planning on seeing just how proud of the body the saddles will stand before committing either way. As this is a traditional, bolt-on build, my thought is, should I have to angle the neck, to cut a tapered piece of Ash to fit the neck pocket, glue that in place and bolt through it.

As always, thoughts, advice, opinions and such are most welcome.

13. ctmullins

You'll need to angle the neck for a tune-o-matic, yes. Either that, or recess the bridge into the body, or carve a fall away into the body where the bridge mounts. But since it's a bolt-on, it should be easy to experiment with shims until you get it just right. Then you can glue the shim in if you want, but you don't have to.

The wood glue-up looks really good!

14. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Thanks for that :)

Just after posting I had thought I wouldn't actually need to glue in the shim, but once I get the angle right I think I will so that I can finish it nice and neat at the edges where it's visible.

15. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Here's a pic showing the neck sitting snugly in its pocket. I've also made the pickup routes and installed the posts for the bridge, but didn't get pics.

[​IMG]

16. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Hmm... Was just having a little look at the Schecter Ultra Bass, particularly Simon Gallup's signature model. I'm very tempted to incorporate a little of that shape in to this, the slight upper horn in particular... Decisions decisions...

17. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

A wee bit like this maybe

Attached Files:

18. gmjhowe

gmjhowe

Looks good, I think thats a nice shape, I would introduce a bit more space on the left, as it feels a little small.
    I tend to make sure the measurement across the 'waist' is equal from the centre line.

19. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I've gone back to the original 'shoulder' shape - it just works better for me. Here's a test fit of the hardware, the pups and neck on the top - which is now glued and clamped to the back. Cutting the general shape in the next few days if the weather holds out.

[​IMG]

20. gmjhowe

gmjhowe

Both the designs, with the old and new shoulder exhibit the problem I described.

21. ctmullins

I like both bodies!

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, though, the tailpiece is too far from the bridge. IMHO!