Ashdown 550 touring combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bass nitro, May 19, 2011.

1. bass nitro

bass nitro

Hi everybody.My new 550 touting combo just arrived and i saw there are two speaker outputs on back panel but it is just wrote down .."minimum load 4 ohms".Description and manual also do not say enough about - just 550 watts but not mention with or without extension cab http://www.ashdownmusic.com/tech/manuals/valve_series_manual.pdf
    Does anyone have amp like this?Any info will help me a lot.
    Obviously Ashdown should have to do better description manual.
    Thank you

2. PandyBass

PandyBass

Hi Bass Nitro. Sorry this isn't an answer but I'm bumping this question as I would like know too.

3. LiamPodmore

LiamPodmore

I've never seen an Ashdown combo that can't take an extension cab, except the little practice amps. The 550 Touring can definately take an 8 ohm extension cab.

Liam

4. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

Just read the manual. 2 speakon connections, one for the internal setup and one for an external 8 ohm cab. You can disconnect the internal speaker so you can also use just the head with 2 8 ohm cabs if you need really big cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mickthewiz

mickthewiz

I just bought one of these and am also interested in your experiences with extension cabs. Any recommendations? I'm thinking the VS-412 or the CL-410H.

7. bassman64

bassman64

the Ashdown site is not very clear in the description of the amps wattage output.

I bought the MAG C210T-300 2X10 thinking it was 307 watts. turns out its only 200 unless you use an extension cab.

give the size and weight of the amp I thought that was a little silly to need a cab out to get another 100 watts.....

great sounding amps.built like a tank I just wish they made the need for a cab out a little clearer

8. mickthewiz

mickthewiz

@bassman64
    Interesting.

When I bought it, the sales guy told me that while the amp pumps out 550W, without an extension I had to be careful not to blow the built-in speakers. So I've been quite conservative with the gain/volume as he put the frighteners on me quite successfully. Still considering which extension to get. Something useful that could sit nicely under it would be good. Any suggestions?

9. bassman64

bassman64

I have been in communications via email with a North East Sales rep with Ashdown and Tech support. I would take their word over a "sales guy" in a store personally as it sounds like compared to what the Ashdown guys are telling me he did not have his facts right.

all amps I have asked about the wattage output was considerably lower than the advertised wattage....

you got the 550 combo...dont think they sell that one anymore :(

I wouldnt worry about blowing the speakers.

I would go with another 2X10 cab if I had to make that choice.

how do you like the amp, its tone?
    what kind of bass do you play through it?

what state are you in?

10. mickthewiz

mickthewiz

Maybe the sales guy was trying to scare me into buying a cab on the spot.
    I really like the sound of the 550. Especially for the price. The best amp I ever heard was an Ampeg valve monster (can't remember which), over 20 years ago (the guy was playing a 70's Fender Jazz if I remember correctly). I couldn't afford it then and still can't :cool:

I've got a Hohner Bass-V (no longer made). I've damaged the active circuitry and it needs a new bridge and re-fretting but it still gives out a nice tone (passive).

State? I'm in Victoria, Australia.

2x10 sounds about right. I'll work on the finance manager ("Can I make you a cup of tea dear...").

11. bassman64

bassman64

lol

I hear ya about the amps of days gone by. SVT still have that tone but you are talking about almost 3K worth of gear. I cant justify that since I am not playing out and any big venues.

Oh, Sorry I just assumed you were state side....

glad you like the 550 I am probably going to go for the 330 Touring 2X10

I do want to see the MAG evo III also but I like the idea of the Tube preamp

12. bass nitro

bass nitro

Hi there.I have use my with 4x10 Peavey TVX and it is sounds very powerful.So do not you bother with 2x10 just go "big-brother" instead.This combo is like a horse - tug everything :D

13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

NOT good advice.

If the combo is a 2X10, mixing it with a 4X10 of the same impedance will result in the internal 2X10 speakers getting twice the power that the speakers in the 4X10 gets.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 an 8 ohm 210 (internal) is best matched with an 8 ohm 2x10 ext cab. Matched cabs will always be a sure bet, where mixed will not. Especially any mix where there's such a mis-match in driver count, 2 to 4 in this case.

15. PureMetalMad

PureMetalMad

Hi all, was wondering if someone could help me out here. I'm looking at buying a 550 touring combo second hand but there's a bit of confusion with the speaker outputs:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=531595155

(this link will only be good for few days, sorry)

The diagram in the manual shows two speaker outputs on the back, but the pictures in the auction show only one? what's up with that?

16. murphy

murphy

The combo has a regular head in it.
    The built in speakers are running at 8 ohm....so you are getting about 300 watts.
    Add an 8 ohm extension speaker and you will combine to get a 4 ohm load and the full 550/600 watts

17. PureMetalMad

PureMetalMad

Yes i understand all that, i was just wondering why there's a mismatch with this particular combo's speaker outputs and what the diagram shows in the manual

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=254

So you reckon they've installed a regular 550 head instead of a touring one? I wonder how they made that mistake. This means you'd have to get an extra adapter cable or output splitter so you can utilize the combo speakers with an extension cab

18. murphy

murphy

No, I'm just saying that a combo head is usually the guts of the head version installed in the speaker cab to make a combo.
    Everything looks pretty normal to me.