Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III w/Aguilar GS212 cab- Anyone own this setup?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dedoonbass, Feb 16, 2013.

1. dedoonbass

dedoonbass Supporting Member

Well, I have been searching for months now and have found the amp head with the tone I love, the ABM 500 EVO III. Unfortunately I have to buy it online and have been forced to use high-quality youtube videos as my basis for gear comparison. (High-end stuff is not usually stocked in my area, especially for bass).

My proposed rig is an Aguilar GS212 with the ABM head running @ 8 ohms, so I have the option to add another 212 in the future. Can anyone weigh in on what this would sound like and how the 2 would compliment each other?

From what I can tell, I think I will be happy. That Aguilar cab sounds right up my alley.I love warm, full tone with good punch and nice controlled deep lows.
    Any help or other cab suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

I had those together at one point and did not feel much synergy. Both scooping things in different ways. Wasn't great. IME best heads with gs212 are the mesa big blocks, mpulses, gk rbs, Markbass f1, db750, ag500. I loved the bass tasters clip of the ashdown just didn't like it with my cabs.

3. dedoonbass

Hey thanks for the reply. I am trying to mate a cab with that head.
    Any cabs you can suggest that would be well suited to it? I love the sound of the Ashdown head and want something that is going to compliment it well. My preference is for a 2x12 because I plan to add another in the future.

Thanks

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Aguilar DB 212's might pair better, they're more mid-focused.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pickles

Why not ashdown cabs? Or epifani like pino? Id actually suggest starting a new thread - best cabs with ashdown evo, you'll get more response i think.

7. dedoonbass

The DB 212's are unfortunately a bit more than I would like to spend.

I would really prefer a 2x12 cab so I can run two of them at 4 ohms in the future, thus utilizing the amps full potential.

It seems there are no Ashdown 2x12's available in my area, and I really don't want to haul two 4x10's to get the 4 ohm load. On the same point, 1 4 ohm 4x10 limits my rig to that one cab..
    So to me, the 2x12's are a more flexible and portable option. I've never looked into Epifani, thanks for the suggestions.
    Could you describe in greater detail what you didn't really like about the GS212's. I have found other people quote that exact rig in other threads and they really enjoy it. I play mostly fingerstyle and really dig old-school warm tone (Love low-mid growl and good bottom). I understand that playing styles vary greatly, so am just curious if it didn't work for you because your style differs from my own.

Thanks

8. big evil robot

big evil robot

I've tried the ABM500 with the Ashdown VS212, it doesn't jive well either, very mushy with little definition.

To my ears, the ABM clicks with 410s and 610s really well, it brings their midrange grunt to the forefront.

9. pickles

It didn't sound horrible, but those other amps i mentioned made great, distinct tones with the gs. The word id use with the ashdown is "bland". I play rock, funk, and pop mostly with sadowskys and a p-bass, sometimes modulus or stingrays etc.

10. dedoonbass

Interesting, glad I looked into this. I did some searching on this site and it seems alot of people run this head with more mid-focused cabs like Bergantino's, etc.
    I started a new thread about this head to try and get some more responses. Thanks for your help.

11. bootiecruncher

bootiecruncher

It certainly all depends on the player, and the bass in hand,...but I play an Ashdown ABM 900 EVO into an Aguilar DB 410 Cab. People can't believe I'm not lugging around an 8x10 Ampeg--once they see the set-up. It sounds HUGE. Best set-up I've had, ...and I've played through SVT's, Mesa-Boogie 400+,...all great....but this is a notch above great.

12. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

Yep, Berg 210s are probably the best way to go from what I learned when looking into an extension cab for my EVO II combo.

13. dedoonbass

Just wanted to post a little update to this thread:
    Purchased the Ashdown ABM EVO III Head and a Bergantino HD 210 and 112. First of all, what an amazing cab. People come up to me and ask me about them to this day.

Unfortunately, I was not at all impressed with the Ashdown. The DI was noisy, the amp sounded great by itself but in my band it just didn't sit where I wanted it to at all. Just seemed kind of muddy and lacked definition, and for the first time my bandmates were complaining about not hearing me (imagine). Just to clarify, the rehearsal studio I practice at has many cheaper and lower powered amps and in the exact same room I could hear myself perfectly with those lower quality amps.

I emailed Ashdown about this only to get some snarky and careless responses. I decided to return the amp and bought a Genz Benz ShuttleMax 9.2 instead. Kind of went the other way on that one, but the Genz offers the warmth AND articulation and it just seems right for me. I couldn't be happier with the tone.

All in all, sometimes what you think you want isn't it. I am sure the Ashdown is a fine amp for some people, but it just didn't do what I wanted it to. If anything this experience taught me more about myself as a player, so even though it was a bit of an inconvenience I am really glad it happened.

Cheers

14. aaronsdunn

aaronsdunn

I've owned the ABM EVO III in a 900 watt power rating and to my best knowledge it mated very well with the ABM 410T cabinet. I got everything I wanted out of this setup and honestly regret selling it! If you're genre is rock I would definitely go with this combo.

15. mouthmw

mouthmw

I'll be testing out the ABM 900 with GK NEO 412 soon. Should pair nicely since GK NEO is quite articulate and can be a bit too hi fi paired with a GK head. My Darkglass VMT should also make sure there is no lack of mids.