Ashdown ABM 500, guess I never fell in love.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by greencow, Sep 18, 2013.

1. greencow

greencow

I supose that this is an amplifier review/advice for a new amp.

So, I have 2 amp setups
    1) Markbass LMIII + Traveler 121H
    2) Ashdown ABM 500 + GK Neo 212

The first setup I have owned for over 5 years and it still brings a smile to my face every time I use it.

The Ashdown is almost a year old now and it doesn't do the same, however I can't really point out why. It is not the cab, I have tried both amps with both cabs and really the cabs sound quite similar.

So what can I say about the Ashdown
    The 7-band EQ is actually easy to use and is verry musical.
    The compressor is a really nice single button unit
    The drive is also quite nice
    The two things I don't find verry useful are the sub-harmonic generator and the shape button, but that is just personal preference. The first I would rather have as a pedal unit and the predefined shape is much too agressive on the low end for my taste.
    If I had to gig with this amp I would use a separate DI.

The overall tone of the amp is nice both playing solo and in a band situation, a really nice solid tone. For some reason however, I like the transparent LMIII better.

It has volume, and a lot of it. This amp can get loud, a lot louder then the MB.

The only actual drawback of this head is the weight.

Overall the Ashdown is a really nice head, but for some reason I do not klick with it.

So I am sitting at a crossroads , so to speak.

Choice one would be to try it with a different cab, maybe something sealed? On the other hand I have been thinking about a pair of fearful cabs, since everybody seems to like them.

Choice two is to sell the head and get something different, maybe an SVT-3PRO or something from EBS or Trace Elliot, or maybe some different MarkBass head.

If you have any ideas or thoughts about this, feel free to comment.
  2. mazdah

mazdah

There many GREAT amps, which I simply don't like. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not very fond of Ashdown, SWR, polish Taurus, Trace-Elliot.... I love Ampeg, Gallien-Krueger and Eden amps. So I stick to them.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

It seems like the only drawback is the weight from what you've mentioned.
    I personally really dig the Ashdown tone coming from a quicker, more modern, drier GK amp, but I'm into the "vintage like" dirtier tone, and I don't mind the fact that my Ashdown 900 is a big mofo.
    What are you looking for tone wise?
    If you prefer more transparent amps, I guess then Ash is just not for you.
  4. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

I don't have experience with Ashdown heads. Have you paired it with an Ashdown cab? I have an ABM 500 EVO II 210 combo that is wonderful, but I like a dark/warm tone...

If you're thinking of building a fEARFUL, I'd keep the Ashdown around to try it through the new cab before selling it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. greencow

greencow

When I got the Ashdown I was hoping for a cheap fix for some Ampeg tone. It seems though, that the Ashdown has a tone of its own. The local venues use some different Ampegs and some TE combos. Verry nice setups that I have enjoyed using.

The ABM is a great amp, maybe just not the right amp for me : P
  7. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

Ashdowns are quite dark IMO. Ive got eh AMB EVO II head and i dont get along with it either.

I prefer to use it as a practice head at home...without a band. That makes it quite useless i am finding. It does have a lot of head room with the right cab, i just cant seem to fall in love with it.

Ive got it as a back up to my Ampeg V4B. Although, i like my Kustom K200 better than the Ashdown. Perhaps i just like a more vintage bright tone than the Ashdown can do without a ton of tweaking.

I can NEVER leave the controls alone. I feel i have to change them for every song. AND THAT SUCKS.
  8. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Ive got the LMIII and LOVE it ...and LMT800..LOVE IT
    The only real Jones I have now is to try the Aguillar TH500.
    Alot to read on it here--
  9. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

Yes, they're definitely dark. Interestingly, I got rid of my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro/Classic HLF 410 rig to go back to my Ashdown because I found the Ampeg rig too bright and a tad sterile/brittle. I found myself constantly fiddling with the EQ on the 4 Pro and ended up getting a TH DI to add some warmth. It definitely seems like a tone preference issue.

I think if you like a warmer, darker, softer tone, Ashdown is a great way to go, assuming your head is paired with the right cab. Otherwise, there are a ton of other great options out there.
  10. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Disclosures:
    International Artist: MTD Kingston basses
    I have a Ashdown ABM 500 evo III I like it very much but i have the same thing i have to change the controls all the time so i guess this isn't
    My kind of amp after all. I'm probably going to change it to Aguilar.
  11. IPYF

IPYF

I have a love for Ashdown amps, just because they're a great rock amp for the cat on a budget. If I had need of a new amp I'd probably get an ABM, mount it on a 412 and play a Thunderbird through it. For that application they're probably the best in the price range.

Some people find them too mushy around the guts or too faux warm. I understand where they're coming from, but if you expect crisp transparent tones then you're barking up the wrong tree with Ashdown. That's not what they're made for.
  12. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Thinking of that rig makes me all kinds of :hyper:
  13. miniroar

miniroar

I love my evo 500 its ten years old now! It did take me a while to get the best out of it I sold my abm 4x10 as it was a bit dark and harder to eq and went for the abm 2x10s way punchier also bumping the 340hz slider is the secret weapon for me and drop the bass knob to 11 as its very bassy head,I now dont need to mess round with eq now, it works best if you set it up in the band situation as setting up at home sounds totally differant on its own. I had trace elliot before this but I am curious about a tonehammer!
  14. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Ashdown is a boomy kind of thing. For me it's a lot like trace elliot. If you dig it, you have a perfect tone. I am a trace elliot kind-a-guy, have a very old TE head which I love to death. Ashdowns are a bit more modern to my ears but still low and boomy, scooped.
    You really have to love it - both TE and Ashdown are no "can be used for everything" heads/cabs.
    Their sub-harmonic extension thingy was never my cup of tea. Neither was the tube in the pre-amp.
  15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQA7VML2Rhc

After almost 16 years of using Ashdown amps and cabs I find the above comments not true, at least not for me.

The heads are very versatile and I dig how solid the amps with the cabs sound.

Ashdown endorser.
  16. John Swartz

John Swartz

To each his/her own with amps, but I love my Ashdown ABM C210-500 combo - but it IS a beast weight-wise...
  17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

A killer combo and yes the weight is a beast :)