Ashdown ABM 500 vs. LB30 -tone, versatility?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Other than the obvious watt /headroom difference, how do they compare in applications? They are similar price bracket.

It's seems -from the little denied I could hear of the LB30 that it's sound very warm, smooth and "vintage", chunky I'd say. I like!

On the other hand I wonder if the ABM Evo iii 500 head might be even better. Couldn't hear much on YT but - what kind of amp is it, what kind of styles it fits?

Of the two which would you pick with a 5 string fretless?

Thanks!

2. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

3. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Don't really think they are comparable amps, about as far different as you can get, name badge has little bearing on anything, different designers. ABM has a ton more tone shaping, so there is more stuff to get from it, but you might like the one trick of the LB.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    They are two different amps the LB 30 can get that definite vintage tone while the ABM 500 gets very very close.

This year will be 16 years that I've been using(and endorsing) Ashdown amps and throughout all this time I have been using the ABM series amps, they are far more versatile than people would like to think. I play a lot of fretless 4, 5 and 6 string bass and the ABM series is perfect and I'm playing in pretty much every genre a player can imagine.

Ashdown endorser.