1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ashdown ABM300 or Ampeg Micro VR?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sbpark, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

For the same price I can either buy a new SVT Micro VR and SVT810AV cab or a used Ashdown ABM300 with an Ashdown ABM 210 cab. Would be used for practicing at home through the 210 cabinet, and then plopped on top of an SVT810AV cabinet that lives at rehearsal. Would also consider picking up an additional 210 cabinet for smaller stuff with a band where I didn't feel like lugging the 810 around.

None of the shops around me have the Ampeg Micro VR in stock, so I can't go try one out and see what it sounds like, but it seems to have a small cult following on this site, and I am definitely a fan of the SVT sound. But I've also read about issues with running this head through two if the SVT210AV cabs.

Seems like the Micro VR gets pretty darn close to the classic SVT sound. Would be nice to just have to tote around the little Micro VR head to practice. The headphone out on the Ampeg is also a nice feature. Never played an Ashdown, but think I'd like the sound. Would be using whatever head I end up with for everything from indie rock stuff to country/alt-country running a '76 P-bass through it.

The other option is to get a Portaflex PF350 or 500 w/ the 210 cabinet. Ugh. Too many choices.

Thoughts?

2. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Bump. Similar questions here. Would the VR with the 210 be enough for a full band scenario? Not a big venue, but a couple guitars drums and pa?

Would a second 210 added on be a nice boost in volume?