Ashdown ABM500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Mar 30, 2014.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

I used one for years, and I really loved the tone.

Like many folks, I had reliability issues; it broke down on the gig.

I remember the tone so fondly, I'm actually tempted to consider a new one again (with warranty).

Am I crazy? Fool me once, shame on me? Have they become more reliable?

Do I remember the tone correctly, or am I looking back with rose colored ear buds?

P.S. I use an Aguilar TH500, which I quite like, but it doesn't sound as good as the ABM500 in my head.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Pretty much every bass amp on the market have had a few reliability issues here or there.

I've been using Ashdown ABM 500 heads for 16 years and I have never had one go out on me or any other kind of issue that could be related to reliability.

Ashdown endorser.

3. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    If you have the cash, then why not get the Ashdown and keep the Aguilar as a backup?

If you buy a used Ashdown you would probably be able to flip it for about what you paid for it if it doesn't live up to your memories. Plus, if a used unit is still working then there probably aren't any factory defects.

4. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Banned

Twice is okay, why not? I wouldn't make the same mistake three times though. And sure, no class D power amp can compete with the major heft of the ABM line.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I have had no problems whatsoever with any of the Ashdown gear that I have owned, and I agree that those ABM heads sound nice. FWIW. I believe Ashdown had a period with more problems than desired, but this seems to be straightened out now.

Couldn't disagree more - about a year ago I sold my Ashdown MK-500 head, and bought a GK MB800. The GK slams the MK-500, totally. Just sayin'. ;)

7. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Banned

I don't know what a MK-500 is but if you mean the ABM 500 then well... the GK is LOUDER and has more HEADROOM, yes. But does it have more HEFT? I think not.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
  9. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Yes, but with the same power section. I also used to own the ABM 500. IMO the GK kills them in any way, power, headroom, heft whatever. You may hear it differently, and I agree that those ABMs are great heads.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Cheers, guys. I'm not going to be convinced Ashdown doesn't have more than its share of reliability skeletons in the closet. But still considering..Jacquo.in part, that vid on Sweetwater was what got me thinking. You also were a big help when my ABM poo crapped out....too bad that story didn't have a happy ending.

11. AaronHuff

AaronHuff

I miss my Ashdowns, too. I had two UK-made ABM 500 EVO IIs that I used for many years, and they only time one crapped out it was 100% user error. I finally gave up on them because after some years of use the fan got incredibly loud and nobody who looked at it could come up with a reason why. I have a feeling I may track down a used UK Ashdown again some day, though.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

Same power section yes but they sound totally different.

I don't get into amp competition but each amp has what it has and I happen to dig Ashdown.