1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ashdown "deep" switch?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Iheartreverb, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I've just realised why I love the tone I get on may ashdown practice amp at home and have struggled to replicate on some really expensive gear elsewhere....the "deep" switch?

As this model has now been updated and doesn't have this feature any more can anyone give me any advice on how to replicate this?
    I don't really know what it does, although it does add a truck load of low end and rounds everything off nicely.

I need something (so probably a pedal) that can achieve this into any amps I play through, rental stuff at practice space and other peoples stuff if gigging.

Any help as to the actual science of this function and what I can use?

Thanks
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    From the manual for an Ashdoen MAG C115-300:
    http://ashdownmusic.com/files/product/file/user_manual_20130902090813_1106.pdf

So eventually it is an additional EQ parameter that is fixed to a certain frequency (50 Hz) and a certain boost (+8 dB). The width of the filter (called Q) is unknown.

You can imitate this circuit with an EQ pedal that is capable of regulation at 50 Hz and a boost at that dimension

Edit: I guess that the DEEP switch is located behind the pre-amp of the amp, while a pedal will be located before the pre-amp. With a boost of 8 dB you might stress your pre-amp into nasty clipping in the lowest frequencies.
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    This is something that may work better in a home situation 8dB is a big boost (considering that at only 3dB boost you are using twice the power in watts from your amp) once you turn up the volume to gigging levels you are bound by Fletcher Munson curves to run into boom the room resonances and poor string balance.
    Most active bass onboard preamps set the bass control around a shelf in the area of 50hz and many offer a boost of up to 16dB. Many of those require reducing the basses volume a bit to get that amount of boost without distorting the onboard preamp.
    What works at home is very unlikely to work well at a totally different volume in a totally different place.:bassist:
  4. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Aw man, I knew science would come into this!
    I just can't get "my" tone with any number of professional quality heads (end, ashdown, ampeg) using 8x10's!

I normally run the amp really clean (nowhere near the peak let alone clipping), run treble, mid flat and a bit of bass in addition to having this switch always on. It just is the sound in my head that I can't get out of any gear.

Any help guys?
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

What 810 are you using? The old straight back Ampeg 810 as an example rolls off the low end at 80Hz and no amp will get you to what the cab was not made to produce.
  6. M0ses

M0ses

An 8db boost at 50Hz is "your tone"??? I've got news for you. Once the band starts playing, nobody can even tell what notes you're playing.
  7. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I've just found everything I've played to be too harsh or scooped. I just like a mellow rounded super clean tone.

It's just odd I can't get anything to sound like my £100 30w bedroom amp
  8. B-string

You may find as I said before the speaker cab may be your limiting factor.
  9. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

10. B-string

Yes really. Just because so many people use the 810 does not mean it will work best for you. A speaker cab is not just a speaker cab.

You want "mellow rounded super clean tone" and you are using a configuration known for grindy, low mid punch.
  11. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    For mellow round and clean I think of stuff they use for soul or pop music. EBS or Eden and glockenklang come to my mind
  12. B-string

I think I remember the model number as Ampeg 410HLF that is a good fit for that voicing. There are many others from mainstream brands and custom builders, even DIY designs out there. It really is choosing the right tool for the job.

So we know you are using some brand of 810, we don't know what amp? What bass and strings? This amp gets this voice is not giving us much to go on.