1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ashdown EB-220: Impressed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Marcnelsonbass, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Marcnelsonbass

Marcnelsonbass

I just got an Ashdown EB Lite 220 and I have to say I am impressed so far. I got the amp to replace an Ampeg BA-115hp that crapped out, again, after being repaired a few months ago. I've read mixed things about Ashdown on here, and took a leap of faith after playing through an ABM-500 at a show a few months back that made me take notice. Its impossible to find them in stores around here! (US, NYC)

Anyway, I had to post on it, because for the price the tone really blows the little Ampeg out of the water. This isn't to start another flame war because I have played through some higher end and vintage Ampegs that sounded absolutely fantastic. I just wanted to try something different in my "easy to carry" amp and am glad I did.

The sound from this little amp is definitely "warm" and maybe a bit too biased for the midrange, which was fixed in two seconds by "scooping" them a bit on the eq. The sound is punchy, aggressive but never thin, and seems to pack plenty of low end in a small package. Even the compressor surprised me, it works great and isn't noisy at all. Makes my Marcus Miller V sound great. Reminds me of classic Larry Graham tone!

It remains to be seen how it will hold up over time, and I am eager to get it up on stage. Anyone else playing these and have any thoughts?