Ashdown EB-220: Impressed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Marcnelsonbass, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Marcnelsonbass

Marcnelsonbass

I just got an Ashdown EB Lite 220 and I have to say I am impressed so far. I got the amp to replace an Ampeg BA-115hp that crapped out, again, after being repaired a few months ago. I've read mixed things about Ashdown on here, and took a leap of faith after playing through an ABM-500 at a show a few months back that made me take notice. Its impossible to find them in stores around here! (US, NYC)

Anyway, I had to post on it, because for the price the tone really blows the little Ampeg out of the water. This isn't to start another flame war because I have played through some higher end and vintage Ampegs that sounded absolutely fantastic. I just wanted to try something different in my "easy to carry" amp and am glad I did.

The sound from this little amp is definitely "warm" and maybe a bit too biased for the midrange, which was fixed in two seconds by "scooping" them a bit on the eq. The sound is punchy, aggressive but never thin, and seems to pack plenty of low end in a small package. Even the compressor surprised me, it works great and isn't noisy at all. Makes my Marcus Miller V sound great. Reminds me of classic Larry Graham tone!

It remains to be seen how it will hold up over time, and I am eager to get it up on stage. Anyone else playing these and have any thoughts?