1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ashdown EVO 900 III - wet!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NZBassman, Dec 3, 2013.

1. NZBassman

NZBassman

Ok, so I did a silly thing last night and left the garage door up and it rained.... :bawl:
    my bass gear was just inside the garage door and got a bit wet. the bottom corner of my 4x10 is wet and my bass (in its case) but my beloved Ashdown EVO 900 III was standing up next to the 4x10 and it got wet - not sure if much or any water actually got inside the electrics, but the bottom part of the amp sitting on the ground was quite wet. :eek:

I've moved them all out into the middle of the garage so they can 'dry out'.
    I'm not worried about the bass as it was in the case and not too worried about the 4x10 but very worried about the amp - only had it 6 months and it cost me $1,000 (NZ$) 2nd hand

I plan to test the amp when I get home tonight - is there anything I should look for before testing it ? should I use my wifes hair dryer to dry it out a bit first? (assuming the inside got wet)
    I have visions of turning the amp on and having it blow up on me or something. :meh:

Any advice would be appreciated.

my wife has already told me off and given me a lecture about it!! :crying:
  2. groovaholic

groovaholic Supporting Member

Water and electricity are a BAD combination; get that amp DRY before you even think about plugging it in!

Corrosion would be your secondary enemy...
  3. NZBassman

NZBassman

yeah - thanks for that
    didn't really have time to do anything this morning as wife & I were going to work when we discovered the garage door open.
    I just moved the wet items to the middle of the garage out of the rain and shut the garage door.

I'll have a good look at the amp when I get home later and if necessary put it in front of the heater to dry out completely.

hopefully it's ok and there's no damage - I need the amp as my band are booked up every weekend until May 2014 now!
  4. NZBassman

NZBassman

plugged amp in - turned on and everything came on as normal.... phew what a relief!
    yet to plug it into my 4x10 though
  5. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

So you fired up your amp without it connected to a load? Having left it less than a day to dry out??? I'm glad Ashdown make tough amps, I have a MAG 300.

I've heard of filling an object with rice if you wish to dry it out. That might pick up any residual moisture.
  6. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Still I would take it somewhere to clean it from the inside. Corrosion works slowly
  7. NZBassman

NZBassman

thanks - when I got home yesterday I sat the amp in front of a little fan heater and turned the heater on for about 2 hours to dry it out - then I tested the amp and the level meter came on and everything as normal. Tonight I will probably plug into the 4x10 just to make sure it;s all working as normal.

But yes I think I will take it somewhere to get get it 'cleaned' inside to stop any potential corrosion
  8. Relsom

Relsom

Pull the amp from the cabinet and check it out yourself. It's not rocket science. Make sure you unplug it first, for obvious reasons. Since you bought it used this wouldn't be a bad time to get a can of Deoxit and clean up all those pots, sliders, and contacts anyway. Use a tissue when handling the tube. Pull it out and squirt a shot of Deoxit in the socket. Your amp is your friend. Get to know it and don't leave it out in the rain again.