Ashdown Little Bastard question.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Feb 6, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

Hey everyone,

I currently have an Ampeg SVT VR as my tube head, but I find at practice and smaller gigs, I cant get the sound I want out of it. Also, carrying it for smaller gigs makes no sense.

I was considering the Little Bastard. I either play though a sealed 810 or a ported 410. I like a very dirty tone, is this amp too quiet for practice/small gigs?
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Maybe, maybe not, depends on your definition of too quiet. It will be dirty for sure! There are plenty of guys using them on gigs.
  3. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

Usable on gigs but this amp is made for dirty tone.
    If you want it go for it.
    LB is my next amp. But I'd use it only for studio work.
  4. whatisacup

whatisacup

It would be mostly used at the practice space. We play loud rock, not super loud.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A whole bunch of TB'ers just bought them in a big fire sale so hang for the reviews. No doubt one or two will get flipped on shortly.
  7. rodl2005

rodl2005

Yes-depends on your "loud".
    I found it only just able to keep up- large soul band, fairly loud- & unless I wanted lotsa dirt & not much bottom end-no go for me. YMMV
    If I was doing jazz/blues in real small places tho, I'd grab one again happily.
  8. whatisacup

whatisacup

Hm, looks like it won't be right for me. I think i'll consider one of those Orange lunch box heads.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Why not a micro VR?
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a big fan of low wattage tube amps. Into a big enough cab, a 25w head will raise a ruckus when cranked hard. I've plugged my B-15 into my 810 and 410 and it's not quiet by any means.
  11. rodl2005

rodl2005

Totally true. I wouldn't rule out the LB30-really depends how loud is your loud:rolleyes:
    Even thru a good 1x15" they can pump. But if you run a 300w tube amp up over 9 o'clock...maybe not.
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i rock my 6w pignose piggy in a box pedal/head sometimes, so why not 30 tube watts:)
  13. whatisacup

whatisacup

It will be used for practice, studio work and as a back up for on the road gigs.

I play indie rock, up against 2 fender tube combos and a pretty loud drummer. I either play an Orange 410 cab or an SVT 810, most often I'm playing through the orange.

I do like the tube breakup, however. The LB looks like a great head, but I'm very concerned about volume.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am one of the guys that got it in the big sale earlier in the week, I didn't need it but I couldn't pass up the deal. I am getting more and more excited to try this thing out. It was supposed to be here end of day today but I highly doubt it.

I will let you know how it competes through a 410 with an extremely loud drummer in a rock setting next week if you'd like. I told my guitarist I know it can keep up with his 412 stack no problems, I just don't know if it can keep up to my drummer.

Back to my UPS stalking.
  15. whatisacup

whatisacup

Yes please let me know. I can't find one to try local, however, I love Ashdown and have full faith this amp sounds good. Just scared it won't be loud enough.

I know it might struggle with a loud drummer, especially as a main head. But how about being a backup? If a tube or something goes out on my SVT, I don't always have the money to bring it to a tech right away.
  16. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Mine arrived today. Holy crap! This thing is a little beast. Played with various tones through a GK 115 with a P and a J. The whole practice room was shaking. Stopped before the neighbors call the cops. It does very different things with small changes in volume and tone controls on the bass, and with volume on the LB.

Keeper for sure!!! Shall we start a club?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1360388630.506847.jpg

Attached Files:

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That is sooo sweet I dragged my feet and missed that sale of a lifetime man I'm still pissed and jealous :(
  18. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

One just sold cheap in like two seconds on the classifieds. Seek and ye shall find! ;)
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

And thank you sir another knife in my heart :) I have to keep my eyes open man I want this little sweetie even though I don't need it I still have got to get one.
  20. SirMjac28

I definitely think you start a club save me a number please.
  21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I don't think you should read too much into shaking a loungeroom. Mine goes to rattleville well below gig levels.